𝘗𝘢𝘳𝘵 25

They had been lucky for most of their journey. Incredibly lucky. But days into passing the Karasuno border, their luck seems to end. They'e not equipped for this. They're tired, hungry, outnumbered. What lies ahead of them could be a squadron of Karasuno's best knights, or it could be some measly vagrants. Iwaizumi was not in the mood to gamble.

"Stay down!" Iwaizumi orders, voice rough as he ducks to the ground. There are voices in the distance, shouting and laughing, metal clinking against each other.

"Iwaizumi," Yahaba hisses, "What about the horses?"

"Leave them," Iwaizumi hisses.

"We can't leave them," Kyoutani argues, "They'll die."

"Not to mention all of our supplies," Yahaba agrees.

Iwaizumi stares at them, "Do you value that more than your own lives?" More shouts surround them and Iwaizumi shoves Kyoutani and Yahaba lower to the ground. He stretches his arm, cutting the horses loose with the sword Ushijima had lent him.

The horses rear up in panic, already nervous from the growing tension in the air. They gallop away, despite Kyoutani's desperate reach for them. Iwaizumi grabs him by the back of his collar, hauling him up and into the river. Kyoutani stumbles into it, slipping in the mud and grasping at the bank to keep from washing away.

"Iwaizumi, what are you doing!" Yahaba cries, as he too is unceremoniously shoved into the water. He falls onto Kyoutani, who looses his grip. Luckily, Yahaba latches onto the bank and Kyoutani is able to grab at his other arm to keep from being pulled by the current.

"Iwaizumi!"

"Let go!" Iwaizumi shouts, but before he can say any further, or jump in himself, he is surrounded by rough bandits. He draws out his sword, holding it out defensively as they circle him. Fear grips his heart and he takes in a breath. He blinks his eyes closed for a calming moment and braces himself.

He is a knight of Aoba Johsai.

He will not be taken lightly.

The bandits surge at him, their movements untrained and clunky. He dodges them, footwork second nature as he moves around the field, swiping and lunging as necessary. He cuts away a few, realizing his advantage in skill quickly. But what the bandits lack in finesse, they win in numbers. Iwaizumi can not protect all sides of himself at once, and soon they wear away at his defenses. A nick at the back of his leg unbalances him, a swipe at his chest rips open his shirt, a pommel slams into his head, dizzying him.

The ground is slick from the recent rain and his foot slips, sending him crashing down. He scrambles, drawing up his sword. A bandit falls on him, impaling himself with a screech. Iwaizumi rolls away quickly with a start, abandoning the weapon like a fool. Another bandit runs toward him, and he braces himself. But the attack never comes. She falls to the ground instead, limp, a dagger embedded deeply in her back.

Iwaizumi sees Yahaba, mud covered and breathing heavy. The teen glares at him, rushing forward to pry the dagger free again, "Don't you dare throw us away like that again!" he shouts, "We can hold our own too!"

"Shigeru!" Kyoutani shouts, grabbing his arm to pull him away from another bandit, lunging his sword at the attacker in turn. It slices into the stranger's leg, bringing her down with a pained wail.

Iwaizumi rushes to his feet, blood pumping in his ears now that its not just himself he needs to protect. He grabs for his sword, using his foot as leverage on the impaled body to draw it free. He holds it up, sees his dirty face reflected in its bloody blade, and shakes his head free of any further thoughts.