𝘗𝘢𝘳𝘵 15

Iwaizumi does not see Oikawa again for another week. The Prince is supremely busy, and Iwaizumi is preparing for his own future assignment. It is still unclear exactly where his squadron will go, but he hopes to be useful wherever it be.

While walking the castle grounds on break he finds Oikawa, sitting under one of the apple orchards. Iwaizumi almost misses him entirely. The Prince is dressed relatively plainly, no jewels to be found on his person, and his hair is empty of it's usual sparkling tiara.

He is curled up at the tree, long legs drawn up to form a perch for the thick book balanced on his knees. But once Iwaizumi sees him, he can not un-see him. He moves toward the royal, despite the apprehension, despite the waves of feeling that hit him, whispering in his ears, turn away, do not come near.

He stops at the Prince's feet, standing above him, "Prince Tooru," he greets.

Oikawa snaps the book shut with a start, head jerking up to look at the intruder, eyes tinted red and wide with surprise, "Iwa-ch, Iwaizumi? How did you find me?"

Iwaizumi licks his lips, fingers clenching into his palms. His heart constricts in his chest and he decides he's feeling a bit tired. That is why he decides to sit down, beside the Prince instead of answering his question.

Oikawa's look is guarded as he does so, hands gripping onto his thick leather bound book, "What are you doing here?"

Iwaizumi keeps his gaze outward, focusing on the trees around him, "I was walking the grounds on break."

Oikawa does not seem convinced, keeping his own gaze away. They sit in silence for a while, centimeters apart but worlds away. Oikawa opens up his book, returning to his reading, perhaps to save himself from the unbearable quiet.

Iwaizumi in turn takes out his wood project, slipping his knife out and beginning to carve away. He can feel Oikawa's curious gaze, but whenever he flicks his eyes over to him, the Prince is glued to his book. But Iwaizumi feels it, swears he does, like this overwhelming pressure on his shoulder. A longing, a desire.

Talk to me, it whispers in his ears, why did you go so far?

Iwaizumi has never been averse to silence, but in this moment it feels suffocating. Perhaps he is no longer use to Oikawa's presence, perhaps Oikawa has improved his royal intimidation, but regardless of why, Iwaizumi can't bear it much longer.

He speaks up, "What are you reading?"

Oikawa looks up, and the pressure on Iwaizumi's shoulder seems to slacken. Oikawa's face looks conflicted, but instead of responding, he hands the other man the object in question.

Iwaizumi is surprised by it's weight, heavy in his hands. He runs his fingers along the golden lettering, along the cover, written in a script too fanciful for him to decipher. He opens the book carefully, trying not to breath in the dust. The pages crinkle with age, the ink a bit worn in places.

Iwaizumi bites his lip, heat rising to his face self consciously as the words attack his eyes. A foreign landscape he can't decipher. He flicks his gaze about the page, desperate for any kind of grip on it. He finds simple words, the, dark, night, horns, but most of it is lost to him.

"I," he voices, swallowing as he returns the book, "I haven't read anything in a long time."

Oikawa pushes the book back into his hands, scooting closer until his side is pressed against Iwaizumi's shoulder. Iwaizumi feels himself curl inward instinctively, and he feels silly for it. Oikawa's arm comes over to maneuver the book in Iwaizumi's hand, opening it up to the first page, fingers running along the lines and reading aloud, "The Trouble with Demons, an Ongoing Investigation into the Dark and Arcane Magic of the Creatures Plaguing our Forest."

Iwaizumi feels sweat pooling at his brow, "Our forest?"

Oikawa shakes his head, face moving even closer, finger gliding through the page to follow the line below the title, "An Account by Akaashi Keiji."

"Akaashi Keiji," Iwaizumi repeats, brow furrowing with a hint of recognition.

Oikawa smiles, wide and glinting, "A member of Fukurodani Court," he explains.

Iwaizumi blinks, and then, as if compelled, regurgitates, "Close friend and scribe to Prince Koutarou."

"You remember."

Iwaizumi snaps the book shut, shoving it back into the Prince's arms. He stands up, abruptly, clutching his wood carving tightly in his hands.

"You're going?" Oikawa comments, tone unsurprised, but eyes shielded. There's something almost bored in the way he says it.

"I have to return to my duties," Iwaizumi forces out, tongue heavy in his mouth.

"Have fun playing with swords," Oikawa bites back, opening up his book and not sparing Iwaizumi another glance.

Iwaizumi grits his teeth but does not look back as he walks away. He keeps walking, feet taking him past the barracks, to the edge of the castle grounds that look out at the forest beyond. He lets out a breath he had been holding, rears his arm back and throws the wooden fox as far as he can. He watches at it slips behind the tree line, gone. Out of sight. Out of mind.

Lost.

Iwaizumi wonders if this all has been pointless.