𝘗𝘢𝘳𝘵 8

"Woah." Iwaizumi breathes out.

Oikawa smiles smugly, slowing his horse to a stop at the castle gates. He looks over at Iwaizumi's gaping face, "Paintings don't give it justice do they?"

The Kingdom of Datekou's castle looms above them, formidable in its stone architecture, a veritable fortress on a hill. From their spot at the bottom, still far, they can see the green and white flags billow in the breeze around it. But the castle itself is not what makes Iwaizumi gasp, but the walls surrounding the entire castle grounds.

Tall, thick, impenetrable and reaching higher then he's ever seen. Do they really stretch all the way around like this? Iwaizumi gets off his horse, holding her by the reigns as he walks over to touch the stone work. He runs his fingers along the textured surface, marveling at the impressive handiwork.

"I want to climb it." Iwaizumi murmurs, staring up at the top of the structure. It must be twice as tall as Aoba Johsai's fence, maybe more.

Oikawa snorts, "You would need a ladder. I hear it extends downwards a few feet into the ground too." Iwaizumi looks down, fingers twitching at his sides. Oikawa rolls his eyes, "Iwa-chan please refrain from digging up our neighbor's yard, you might cause an international incident."

Iwaizumi huffs, returning to his mount obediently after one last look at the wall.

Oikawa brings his horse back to a walk as they enter the grounds. Iwaizumi keeps in pace, looking around the manicured lawns. He glances back to make sure their entourage of guards and servants have all made it through the gate.

As they climb the hill, a young man greets them with a deep bow, "Welcome, Prince Tooru, to the Kingdom of Datekou. The Queen is very excited to speak with you. Please follow me, we will help your servants move your things into your quarters."

Oikawa thanks the short man, "And what is your name?"

"Moniwa Kaname." The servant responds, a bit surprised.

Oikawa smiles at him, "Lead the way, Moniwa."

Moniwa looks a bit unsettled but nods, nervously turning away to lead them into the fortress, "Of course, follow me."

Oikawa glances back at Iwaizumi, eyes darting toward Moniwa, and then back. Iwaizumi sighs, digging up a piece of paper and charcoal that he keeps on his person, scrawling down the name to add to the pile. Oikawa flashes him a quick grin, before setting his face into his princely smile and turning back to the Great Hall.

The Queen greets them warmly at the steps. Oikawa kisses her hand, laying on his charms expertly. She smiles at him. Iwaizumi bows deeply and she doesn't spare him a glance, keeping her eyes on the foreign prince, "It is a pleasure to have you here in my court. Kenji! Come meet Prince Tooru."

A boy trudges over from the corner of the room, looking both bored and aggravated. Iwaizumi guesses he's just a tad bit younger then them, maybe twelve? The way he slouches, Iwaizumi wonders how the tiara doesn't slip straight off his head. He straightens when he reaches them, crossing his arms and raising his brow.

"So this is the prettiest prince in all of the lands, huh?" Kenji mutters, unimpressed.

Oikawa's smile is tight.

The Queen admonishes him, "Kenji, Prince Tooru is on his debut trip. You might want to learn from him, your trip isn't too far from now either."

Prince Futakuchi Kenji rolls his eyes, "He probably doesn't even know how to lay bricks. His hands are so dainty."

"Kenji!"

"It's alright, Your Highness," Oikawa assures, "Kids will be kids. Prince Kenji, do you help lay down the stones for your beautiful walls?"