𝘗𝘢𝘳𝘵 14

"At attention everyone!"

Iwaizumi looks up from his card game with some of the other Knights, watching as everyone starts to scramble into a line. He stands up, making his way over to stand beside Kyoutani. He nudges his shoulder to remind him to stop slouching.

The guard who made the order steps away, and in his stead, three royals make their way into the mess hall of the barracks. Like a wave, the Knights all bow at the sight of them, and Iwaizumi makes sure to tug Kyoutani down too, especially since it seems they have a guest in their home.

"Gwaah! So cool!"

Oikawa chuckles, a hand coming over his mouth, "Why thank you Prince Shouyou, Aoba Johsai prides itself on their knights."

"Gwaah's not even a word." Prince Tobio grumbles with his arms crossed beside them.

"You're not even a word." Prince Shouyou counters.

"That doesn't even make any sense, dumbass!"

Oikawa claps his hands together, "Tobio-chan, why don't you lead the rest of the tour for your guest, hmm? We would not want to bore Prince Shouyou during his Grand Debut."

Prince Tobio sends his older brother a glare before stepping away from the foreign prince to take the lead, "This is the barracks," he mutters, matter of factly, "Where the knights live and train."

"Ooh! Can we see them train?" Prince Shouyou asks, eyes suddenly sparkling at the possiblity.

Prince Tobio shrugs, "Kindaichi!" he calls, "Go ask Iwaizumi if we can watch them train."

Kindaichi's eye seems to twitch behind him. Iwaizumi sees Yahaba send the boy a warning look. Kindaichi straightens up to walk unnecessarily over to Iwaizumi, who could hear everything already, and ask between gritted teeth, "Iwaizumi, would it be possible for our guests to watch you train?"

Iwaizumi gives him an apologetic smile, "Of course, if the Princes would be so kind as to follow me to the training area outside, I would be glad to show them our sparring techniques."

Prince Shouyou claps his own hands, jumping up down in his giddiness at the prospect of a show. Prince Tobio looks disgusted at the reaction, but Iwaizumi's eyes are caught on Oikawa's. They linger, gazes matched, before Iwaizumi tears his away to call for some sparring partners to come with him. He doesn't look back.

Yahaba and Kindaichi carry out seats for the royals. Oikawa waves them off, preferring to stand for the show. Iwaizumi takes a sword from one of the pages, his sparring partner mirroring him before taking the field. He cracks his neck, flexing his grip on the long sword, flashing his eyes over the field.

Prince Shouyou has stars in his eyes. Prince Tobio does as well, though he seems to be trying to hide it.

Oikawa is staring straight at him.

Iwaizumi swallows, looking away, and he realizes, instantaneously, that Oikawa has never seen him spar before. A heat courses through his veins, blood pulsing, heart beating, and he zeroes in on his partner. His grip on his sword tightens.

The match begins.

Iwaizumi wastes no time lunging at his opponent, surefooted and confident. He jabs at the woman's leg, but she dodges, bringing her own sword up to counter his. They parry and he springs back, already bringing his sword up to block her slice at his shoulder. He puts some force in the block, pushing her back.

He rushes forward as she stumbles from the force, swinging his sword into her side. She takes a step back, but she isn't fast enough, and the sword taps her. One point. Iwaizumi grins, sending a triumphant look at his audience. Prince Tobio claps, Prince Shouyou cheers, but Oikawa isn't looking.