𝘗𝘢𝘳𝘵 5

"Oikawa." Iwaizumi Hajime nudges the sleeping boy, "Wake up."

Oikawa groans from his cocoon, letting out a whine before he mutters, "Give me a moment."

Iwaizumi gives him his minute to collect himself, waits as he sits up slowly and blinks the tiredness from his eyes. The light pouring from the window illuminates him in a soft glow.

Iwaizumi grins at him, "Happy Birthday."

Oikawa's eyes widen, and then he breaks out into a bright smile, "Thanks, Iwa-chan!"

"Umm, I.. I got you-"

Oikawa gasps, "You got me something?"

"Well, yeah... Uh, so I--"

"But I didn't get you anything for your birthday!"

"It's okay, uh, anyway, so I--"

"You have no money!"

Iwaizumi huffs, and just shoves his unwrapped gift into Oikawa's hands. Oikawa stares at it. Iwaizumi scratches the back of his neck, "I've been learning to wood carve when I can. One of the butlers is really good at it and is teaching me...Um, it's..It's not really good but it's supposed to be a fox."

"It's a lump." Oikawa whispers, looking at the wood piece carefully.

"Shut up. If you don't like it I'll take it back!"

Oikawa moves the piece high above his head, "No, I want it! His name's Lumpy-chan and I love him."

Iwaizumi reddens, "Give it a better name!"

"Lumpy-chan is the perfect name. Now get away, I'm gonna put him on my bookshelf."

Iwaizumi lets out a sigh, "Well, be quick about it. We need to get you dressed. Some of your guests are already here."

Oikawa lets out a giddy noise, "Yes! I'm so excited! Makki's gonna be here! I haven't seen him in forever."

"I think he's the one who's already here." Iwaizumi replies.

There's more fervor in Oikawa's step, "Well then hurry up and dress me! We can't keep him waiting!"

They do keep him waiting, because Oikawa insists on looking perfect on his birthday. His morning outfit is switched out three times before he is content. He spends an eternity on his hair alone, one thing Iwaizumi is forbidden from touching so he finds himself waiting in one of the seats, bored out of his mind.

Finally, finally, Oikawa is ready to be escorted downstairs. By then more guest have filled into the hall. The King is present, greeting all the Lords and Ladies and foreign dignitaries as they come in. A few have children lingering around them, breaking off to speak with other kids.

Oikawa makes his way to his father's side, who gives him an acknowledging nod. Iwaizumi hangs back with all the other servants.There are many attendants here, some his age, some older, hanging back against the walls. Some have been tasked with carrying gifts. He spies one boy with a mop of unruly black hair clutching an oval gift to his chest. A cage? It's not wrapped, simply draped with a rough piece of fabric.

"Thank you all for coming to celebrate Tooru's tenth birthday." The King announces, "What a joyous occasion." There are cheers from the crowd, "But there's no fun to be had on an empty stomach. Please make your way to the dining room."

The nobles head to the designated room. Iwaizumi watches Oikawa as he glances about the room frantically, probably searching for his friend. Once the guests have disappeared though, a woman pokes her head into the hall. Oikawa's eyes latch onto her and he rushes toward her, almost tripping over himself as he clutches her leg.