𝘗𝘢𝘳𝘵 7

"Father, I can't believe this! This is supposed to be my debut, and you bring that brat along?"

"Tooru, you've caught quite the snake tongue lately. Or have you always had it? Let me guess, you're tired? Do you need to sit out of this meeting? If you wish I can cancel the rest of your stops and let you spend the summer convalescing at the Shiratorizawa castle."

Oikawa bristles, his mouth a thin line, but he remains silent as they step off their mounts in front of the castle doors. Iwaizumi helps unload the Prince's baggage, handing Kindaichi--he had finally learned Prince Tobio's new attendant's name--the lightest to carry.

A tall man dressed in Karasuno's colors, black and orange, greets them at the doors. His brown hair is tied in a loose bun and his hands seem to shake as he greets them. Oikawa smiles at him, as they pass through and are finally greeted by the Kings of Karasuno.

"Welcome, Prince Tooru, to the Kingdom of Karasuno, it is a pleasure to be hosting you as you traverse the lands. We are honored to be your first stop." The black haired King greets with a deep bow. Iwaizumi knows, from drilling Oikawa constantly, that it's King Sugawara Daichi.

He tries to remember Karasuno's history. He knows the Kingdom had been on it's last legs only a decade ago. It was from a myriad a problems. A long standing war with the neighboring Kingdom of Nekoma, unrest in the countryside, bankruptcy and distrust of the royals had all but manifested in a coup d'etat.

Iwaizumi can't really remember the resolution. He knows it has to do with the previous King abdicating to his son, King Sugawara Koshi, and him marrying a commoner, the man speaking to Oikawa now. But more must have happened too. He'll have to ask Oikawa about it tonight.

"Oh, you've brought Prince Tobio!" King Koshi, the silver haired king, exclaims, smiling down at the young boy holding his father's hand, "What a wonderful surprise!"

"I thought he deserved a little head start." The King chuckles.

"Well, do come in, we can talk in the dining room. Tanaka!" A bald servant, probably around Iwaizumi's age, hurries over, "Could you take Prince Tobio to where Shouyou is? I'm sure he'll have much more fun spending time with someone his age."

Iwaizumi follows the royals into the dining room, leaving Kindaichi to follow after Tobio nervously. He takes his place against the wall. He finds Karasuno's architecture quite gloomy, all dark colors and little decoration. The castle is definitely in need of some renovating. He notices a cobweb in the left corner of the ceiling. Not a good first impression. He wonders what kind of spider lived there.

His green eyes shift back down to where the royals are seated. There's an array of snacks on the table that make Iwaizumi's mouth water, but years of watching others eat before him had trained him to hide it. His eyes cling to Karasuno's signature cuisine, meat buns, which feature heavily in the buffet.

Iwaizumi wonders if he'll be able to try any before they leave. He'll have to make Oikawa share with him at some point. He watches the royals converse in idle pleasantries, nibbling from the spread. But then Iwaizumi sees it, sees the calculating glint in Oikawa's eyes, sees his smile stretch a bit too far, and he feels himself shudder.

Oikawa, the Demon Diplomat, has arrived.

(Oikawa hates him when he calls him that, for obvious reasons. Iwaizumi still thinks it's pretty funny.)

"You've both done such a marvelous job these past few years." Oikawa comments with a sigh, eyes sweeping along the room before resting on the Kings.

"Why thank you, it has been difficult, but we are incredibly proud of how far we have come," King Daichi nods.

"Indeed," Oikawa readily agrees, dabbing his mouth with his handkerchief, "I wonder just how high Karasuno can fly? It would be a shame for your wings were to be clipped too soon."