𝘗𝘢𝘳𝘵 28

Iwaizumi herds his terrified companions toward the tree. Kyoutani hauls himself up to the first branch, helping Yahaba up and then grabbing the Prince from Iwaizumi's outstretched arms. Kyoutani reaches for him next but Iwaizumi takes a step back.

"Iwaizumi, where are you going?" Yahaba asks, wary, holding the Prince to his chest as Kyoutani goes for the next branch.

"I have to help him. Keep moving up," Iwaizumi responds, taking another step back.

"Help who? You're leaving us? Again?"

"Protect the Prince!" Iwaizumi shouts, running back toward the smokey clearing. Kyoutani stops Yahaba from jumping down, urging him upwards instead with an angry grunt. Yahaba bites his lip but follows suit.

Iwaizumi finds Oikawa keeping his distance from the shadowy beast, arms outstretched in warning. Iwaizumi unsheathes his sword, creeping closer. He makes eye contact with the demon who blinks at him before sending a fierce glare, "Stay back, Iwa-chan!"

"Watch out!" Iwaizumi calls, lunging forward. In the moment of distraction, the beast had raised its inky talons to swipe at Oikawa's face. Iwaizumi is able to slice his sword right through the arm, watching the blade cut nothing but dissipating smoke. He makes a tsking noise behind his gritted teeth.

Oikawa's back presses against his own, as they steel themselves from all directions, "Your sword isn't going to do anything," the demon snaps.

"Sure seems to distract it though, smart-ass," Iwaizumi counters, lunging at another talon creeping too close to them.

Oikawa huffs, "Someone's grumpy."

"Grumpy? Are you serious? I chase your ass down for months and--"

"Iwa-chan!" Oikawa cries, pulling him back as talons claw at the space he once occupied, "We can fight later. Just, just do what I say."

Iwaizumi catches his breath, raising his sword, "Fine, Your Highness. What should I do?"

"I think you're right. The swords distracting it. Just, keep it busy. Make sure it doesn't touch either of us. I need to focus," Oikawa orders and then takes a step back.

Iwaizumi nods, feet falling into a rhythm as he dances with the monster. He tries to keep his eyes on the skinny smokey arms, unable to bear looking at the haunting mask it hosts for a face for long. He cuts at the fog, seeing it dissipate with every whip and slash of his sword. But it does not do any lasting damage, and he can feel himself tiring from the exercise. Footwork getting sloppy, sweat beading into his eyes making his vision blurry.

An arrow whirls past him, striking the creature's center, slipping straight through it unimpeded. He glances up in surprise, seeing Yahaba brandishing Prince Tobio's bow far above. Iwaizumi ducks out of the way as another arrow whips past him, near where the creatures neck would be. It passes through the smoke with a whiff.

Iwaizumi is close to shouting at Yahaba to stop because dodging arrows and a shadow monster is too much for his tired brain to deal with at the moemnt. A third arrow shoots, and Iwaizumi sees how that it's aimed even higher. This time the beast dodges it, slinking to the left quickly.

Iwaizumi squints, pausing in his maneuvers as he realizes Yahaba's game.

He's aiming for the creature's mask.

He hears a curse far above him. A quick glance up confirms Yahaba's slipped back into the foliage, havign run out of arrows. Iwaizumi steadies himself, heaving his sword up and lunging forward to slash across the mask himself. The beast is faster, swinging to the side to evade his blade. Iwaizumi lets out an annoyed grunt, whipping back around to try again.