𝘗𝘢𝘳𝘵 32

When Prince Tobio enters into the Great Hall there is silence. Prince Shouyou steps in behind him, keeping close, eyes owlish as he stares about the giant room. Crowded within the room are the castle servants, and a few nobles mingling at the edges. The King stands up from his throne on the the far side. He steps down making his way toward his son, a smile breaking out on his graying face, "Welcome home, Tobio!"

He claps, and the servants, so many of them huddled in this space, join him in the raucous. Prince Tobio bristles, face a scowl as he keeps walking, hands fisted at his sides. The King keeps the joyful tone in his voice, "And I see you have brought a visitor as well. Welcome Prince Shouyou." Prince Shouyou gives an awkward little wave, but hurries to follow after Prince Tobio. The darker haired prince's steps echo around the room as the claps quiet down, nervous hands unable to keep the momentum for long.

Prince Tobio knows why the servants are here. His father had not been subtle in his wording. To make an example. He swallows, lifts his head up high and stands beside the King. Prince Shouyou moves to stand on his other side and discretely gives his hand a squeeze.

The King smiles at him.

Prince Tobio wastes no time, face antsy to get this whole thing over with, "You lied," he says. Says loudly, clearly and crisply in the silent room.

Prince Shouyou takes a step closer, almost as if ready to defend him if the King were to hit him, which, in all honesty, is a very likely possibility.

The King furrows his brows, "Tobio, what do you mean?"

"I'm sorry Father," Prince Tobio continues, looking over the crowd nervously but forcing the words out all the same, "We don't want to lie anymore."

Prince Shouyou licks his lips, taking his cue to shout out, "Aoba Johsai! Look who we found!"

The castle doors kick open again, as Iwaizumi and Kyoutani storm in, swords drawn. All the servants let out a collective gasp as they rear back. Some screaming at the sudden appearance of swords in the mix, already antsy about being summoned into the hall. The King straightens, pushing the Princes away to stare at the intruders.

"Guards!" he shouts.

But the guards hesitate, eyes blinking at the sight of their fellow knights sudden return after their almost half year disappearance.

And then Yahaba steps through, face calm, feet sure and eyes neutral. His face is held up high as he holds the gazes of everyone present. But his arms give him away as the tremble at his sides.

Another collective intake of breath comes from the crowd, followed by uncontrollable murmuring. Servants try to move back, the crowd swaying with nervous energy.

"Guards!" The King repeats, louder, angrier, "Seize them!"

And this time, the guards break free of their hold. Because everyone knows of Yahaba's crime, of his cold blooded murder of their beloved prince. So they rush for him, weapons drawn. Iwaizumi and Kyoutani are quick to flank him, drawing their own swords out defensively, ready.

"That's enough!" Oikawa shouts, stepping through not a moment too soon. Iwaizumi inwardly growls at him. Your need for dramatic entrances could have gotten us killed, he thinks to himself.

But when Oikawa steps into full view a hush falls across the crowd. The guards stop mid step. Disbelief colors the faces of the servants and nobles alike. The guards lower their weapons as if their arms have grown numb at the sight of the ghost among them.

And the King?

The King is furious and he repeats, "I said seize them!"

The guards hesitate, just as they did before, and Iwaizumi fights hard to hold back his smile. Because this doubt, this hesitancy, it means they've won. He chances a triumphant glance back at Oikawa but as he does he finds a frown forming on his face. Oikawa stands confident before him, but he stands as a human, demon ancestry hidden from view.