•1•

Warning: this book contains sensitive subject material that can be disturbing/triggering to some readers.

I walk home from school as slowly as I possibly can to pass the time. The last thing I want is to spend any extra time at home. My best friend is busy tonight, as he has been the past couple weeks, otherwise I'd just hang out with him. I told him not to worry, that things were getting better at home. Except they're not, I just didn't want him to feel bad for having responsibilities that he needs to tend to. The neighbors wave at me as I pass their house, and I shoot them a smile.
"How are you doing, Chloe?" Mrs. Peterson asks.
"Very well, and you?" I ask.
"I'm good, thank you." She smiles. "What happened there?"
I lift my brow in confusion, and she walks closer to me, pointing to the side of my face.
"The bruise." She states in concern.
My hand glides over the bruised skin, quickly thinking up a story. The makeup must have started to wear off.
"I'm clumsy, I dropped my phone on my face and it left this thing." I laugh it off.
"Be more careful sweetheart, a pretty face like that needs to be taken care of." She says and I nod.
"Will do Mrs. Peterson. Have a nice night."
I continue to the white picket fence home at the end of the street. From the outside we look like the perfectly functioning family. Oh how we put on a good show.
As I step inside the house I feel relieved to see no one around, which typically means my dad is in his office and my mum is out doing the shopping or something. I quietly walk down the hallway to the stairs, praying my dad doesn't hear me walk up to my room. It's better if he doesn't know that I am home.
Making my way into my room, I look into the mirror at my face. The makeup has definitely worn off at this point. You can see the blue and purple bruise on the right side of my face. Courtesy of my dad.
He doesn't mean to hurt me.. he just gets angry and frustrated and it happens. Normally he just screams, but once in a while it gets physical. Last night was one of those times. He missed a deadline for work, and got so mad that he took it out on me.
My mum can't do much about it. She use to try, but at this point it does more damage than good. It's better for her to just sit back than to try and intervene. I don't mind. I'd rather it be me than her. I can take it.
My dad turned this way after my brother died 5 years ago. I was always in competition with David. He was the perfect son. He played sports and got straight a's. He's everything I wish I was. He was an amazing brother, and I'll never forgive the drunk driver that had hit him that night.
When David died, my dad became a different person. He never really liked me much to begin with, but I think loosing David turned him cold against me. He always says he wish it had been me instead. I get it, because I wish it had been me instead too.
Luckily I have one person in my life who make it one worth living. My best friend. The guy that practically gave me purpose again. When I was at my lowest, and felt I had no reason left, he gave me one. He brought me into his friend group, they became my friends, and they gave me a new outlook on life. I didn't care that they were the group of outcasts in the school, or that they were secretive and dark. I had my own secrets too. Secrets that only one of them know. The one I'm closest to out of them all. Tom.
Tom and I met in a weird incident that involved him walking into the girls restroom on accident. I was fixing my makeup in the mirror, and he walked straight in, assuming I was the one who wasn't suppose to be in there. After a good laugh, and informing him that it was in fact the girls restroom, he apologized and left. We've been best friends ever since.
I reminisce on the moment while scrolling through all my photos with my group on Instagram. It brings me peace. That is until I hear my father walking up the stairs towards my room. Here we go.
I quickly slide my phone under my pillow so he doesn't see, and pull my books from my backpack to pretend like I'm doing homework. The door opens, and my eyes lift to look at my father who luckily, doesn't look too angry.
"Why are you home so early?" He questions.
"I didn't have any group projects or anything so I thought I should come home and get my homework done." I state.
"Alright." He nods. "Do you know where your mother went?"
"I'm sorry I don't know. I can call her if you'd like."
The way I have to choose my words so carefully to find exactly what he wants me to say is exhausting, but it's much less exhausting than getting beat on.
"Yes. Call her. It's fucking dinner time and she's not here." He groans, and leaves my room. Slamming the door.
I move my pillow to grab my phone, seeing more than just that. An envelope sits on my bed, my name written on it. I grab it and open it up quickly. When did this get here? How long has it been under there?
Dear Chloe,
My sweet girl, I will be on a plane by the time you read this, I can't tell you where I'm going because your father can't find out. Just wait a little longer, after graduation you're coming here with me. We will be safe. I'm sorry it has to happen this way honey, but you're strong. You can do this. I love you. -mum
My mum is gone.. she left without me. How could she do that to her own daughter? What am I going to tell my dad? When he finds out.. I'm in for a world of pain. I can't do this..
I quickly crumple up the letter in a panic, throwing it into the trash. I don't know how I'm going to do this, how I'm suppose to handle this. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, my dad walks up to my room again. I quickly wipe away the tears, praying he won't be able to see my upset.
"What did she say?" He asks as he walks in.
"She didn't answer." I lie.
He groans.
"Then get your ass downstairs and make dinner." He orders.
"Yes sir." I comply quickly, walking past him and down the stairs.
I don't think I'll ever be able to forgive my mum for this, because as soon as my dad finds out she's not coming back, he's going to take it out on me like he never has before. She thinks I'm strong, but the only reason I'm strong is because I've had to support her. Now I'm alone, and I can't do this alone. I need a plan, quickly.

A/N: first chapter!! Don't worry, Tom will be in the story soon. Hope you like it so far!