New haircut

(A/N: Feel free to skip this chapter if you wish to, but just know you're missing out on some Diggory family bonding)

Y/N's P.O.V.

"You gotta ask him! You hate your long hair! Come on Y/N!" I told myself, taking a deep breath in and out to calm my nerves. (I've had long hair ever since I was little but it always bothered me. The reason I didn't ask to get it cut earlier on is because...my ears are quite odd. I'm a fairy- Well, half fairy. My mother was a fairy and my father was a wizard, because of this, my ears are pointed. What's most disappointing though is the fact that, pointed ears are apparently the only fairy gene my mother passed down to me.

No glowing hair, no sparkling hands, hell I don't even have wings. When I was little I'd jump off my bed and see if somehow, I'll magically start flying....it never worked. So it's pretty lame being a 'fairy' who can't even fly. (I bet my mother would be gravely disappointed) 'Okay..I can do this.' I thought, walking down the stairs of our little house. Passing my brother Cedric in the living room, approaching my father in his studies. "Erm...hey father. I was wondering if I could..get a..haircut?" muttered. He looked up from his desk, placing down the book he was reading.

A stunned expression on his face. "Really sweetheart?... I mean, you've never-"
"I know!....I've never cut it before and it'll probably show my ears, but I'm tired of my long hair. It's been long forever. I'm allowed to change it up for once, am I not?" I interrupted, he slowly smiled.  "Yes, Of course you are sweetheart but are you 100% sure?"
"100%" I said reassuringly. "Alright, you can tell your brother to take you. I would take you myself but I'm a bit busy right now. Promise me, that right after you'll come and show me your beautiful new hair style?"

I grinned. "Yes yes! I promise! Bye father! And- thank you so so much!" I beamed, giving him a giant hug before running to the living room. My brother, who was wrapped cozily in a blanket. Sat upon the couch, reading a book quietly. "Ced get your lazy ass up! I finally asked father for a haircut. He said we could go now, but you have to take me!" I rambled, tapping my foot eagerly, awaiting a response. Cedric lowered his book, grinning.

"I'm surprised. I thought you'd never ask. Although now wouldn't be a good time, my story was just getting good-"
"Ced! Please! You know you owe me one. Plus, your book will still be here when we get back." I argued, Cedric pondered for a moment before sluggishly, slithering off the couch and sliding on his boots. I pumped my fist in the air. "Alright! Let's go!"

~•~•~•~•~~•~•

"Do you know where we're going?" I asked, the cold air caused my breath to turn to fog. Cedric chuckled, his nose and cheeks flushed a pink color. "Yes, I do. Fathers been taking me to the same barbershop every time I need a haircut for the past 16 years. I'm sure Mr. Funkle will be delighted to finally meet my infamous sister he's always heard about." He teased, I elbowed him playfully. We slowly approached a rickety building that had a large sign over it that read 'Barber Funkle's,' I gulped nervously. This is it..I'm doing it. Good by long hair.

Cedric looked over at me, "You ready?" I sheepishly nodded as he led me inside. The bell rang to alert the owner we were here. "Coming!" A voice from the back room echoed.
We were the only ones inside the place. Which sorta eased my nerves a bit. A large man walked out of the back room, he had a bald head and big bushy eyebrows. He was also wearing a big white lab coat, one would assume he was a scientist or something.

"Ah Cedric! It's been a while, your hairs gotten long! Are you here to get it trimmed?" The man (who I assume is Mr. Funkle) spoke enthusiastically. "Ah no- I'm actually here to accompany my sister for her first ever haircut." Cedric exclaimed, Mr. Funkle froze. "Y/N? Is that her? Oh dickens, it's such a pleasure to meet you! I've heard such great things!" Mr. Funkle held out an arm for me to shake. I let go of Ced and grabbed Mr. Funkle's hand. He shook it eagerly and pulled me over to the nearest barber chair.

"Cedric, why don't you bring one of those waiting area chairs over here, and sit next to your sister while I cut her hair!" Mr. Funkle suggested. Cedric who had already sat down in the waiting area, stood up and dragged his chair next to me. "Is it gonna hurt?" I asked, Cedric snickered in response. "No no, it won't. It might tickle a little but that's it." He assured me. "So! What do you want to do with your hair Ms. Diggory?" Mr. Funkle suddenly asked.

I thought for a moment before glancing at Cedric. I always admired his hair, it was so easy to take care of and he gets compliments all the time. Without thinking any further I pointed to my brothers head and said,"Something like that please sir." I responded, Mr. Funkle scratched his head. "Are you sure? That's a bit short for a girl? It'll take a while to grow back." He reasoned, I shook my head. "Nope I want it." I spoke firmly. "I mean, it is an amazing hairstyle." Cedric smiled.

#*#*#*#*##*#*#*

After an hour of the continuous sound of snipping. Mr. Funkle suddenly raked a comb through my hair and cleared his throat. "Aaaannnnd done!" Funkle sighed. I slowly opened my eyes. (which I closed due to my nerves) Cedric laid slumped in his chair, mouth agape and faintly snoring. "Does it look okay?" I asked Funkle fearfully. "Why don't you take a look for yourself?" Right as the words left his mouth I was turned around to face towards the mirror.

My hair that was once past the length of my back, was now extremely short and parted in the middle. Letting two waves of hair frame my face perfectly. "So...do you like it??" The barber asked. "LIKE IT?? I LOVE IT!!" I screamed, Cedric bolted upright and practically fell out of his chair. Mr. Funkle helped him up and let out a sigh of relief. "Great! That'll be ʛ15."(15 galleons) Cedric pulled out the money and paid Mr. Funkle. I still gazed upon the mirror in front of me.

I loved my new hair, it felt more like...me. Although, my ears were more prominent than ever. I just really hope when school starts, I won't get any rude comments. I suddenly felt Cedric entangle our arms. "Let's go Y/N." He pulled me out of my daze. "Once again thank you Mr. Funkle, I'll see you probably next month." Cedric spoke, Funkle grinned.

"It's no problem. Tell your father I said hello." Funkle beamed. Me and Cedric nodded. Before we left my brother put his beanie on my head. I looked at him confused. "So your ears don't get cold." He grinned, I smiled back and let him lead us out the door and back home. When we did return my brother called out to my father and practically ran to our fathers office. "Hey dad we're back! You should really see Y/N she looks great!" He turned to me from the doorway and smirked. I approached the office and took off Cedrics beanie. I swear it was like his eyes sparkled for a moment.

"Oh my Y/N! You look so beautiful!" He complimented, I chuckled. "I'm sorry to be assuming things but- do you have the same haircut as your brother now?" Father laughed, I nodded. "Well it looks great on you. The both of you." He spoke with sincerity. I pulled Cedric and my father into big hug. "Thank you. You both make me feel pretty. Even when I have... peculiarities." I sighed, my father gave me a pat on the back before letting go from the hug. "That's what makes you beautiful Y/N, your peculiarities."

"On another note. I have these!" Father said, pulling 2 letters out of his pocket. "It's Hogwarts! Are you two ready for your third and fifth year?" He shouted , I jumped up and down Excitedly. "Oh yes!" I yelled. "I can't wait!" Spoke Ced from behind. "Alright, well I suggest you two go and pack your things. Better now then never."

Me and Ced nodded, grabbing our letters and scrambling to our rooms. When I got inside my room I opened up the letter and read it. Jotting down a list of all the things I needed and started packing. Once I was finished I decided now was a nice time to write a letter to two of my bestest friends. These letters were addressed to Neville Longbottom, and George Weasley. They were my closest friends.

Next chapter~ LETTERS FROM FRIENDS

{Last Edited: 7/18/22}