The Position

Daniel POV

       Ever since I delivered that order to Downton, I couldn't stop thinking about Thomas. How could this be possible? No, this wasn't the first time I have been attracted to a man. This is  the first timeI have been interested in someone this quickly. I need to see him again.

        As I thought this, I passed a store window. Inside, there was a slip of paper. It read as follows: 

Position available: position of chauffeur available at Downton Abbey.

Wages: 13 pounds a month

Experience: Knowledge of automoblies

Housing: Servant quarters

Applications: Accepted as soon as possible

   "That is a stroke of luck." I thought as I make my way back to my aunt's house. It was probably about time that I make a life for myself.

Thomas POV

        "I overheard Lady Grantham saying that she still needs a chauffeur." Some nosy maid remarked.

        "Mind what you say girl!" Mrs. Hughes lectured.

        "Yeah but there's one more coming in today." Another maid whispered.

        "These girls are hopeless." Mrs. Hughes muttered under her breath.

        You can always count on loose-lipped maids to get news. I smirk silently.I rely in this news quite heavily most times, mainly because of my shortage of friends. Lady Sybil was the closest thing I had.

        The shuffling of stones under car wheels brought me back to the real world.

Daniel POV

        I better get this job, I spent my last pound to pay that farmer to drive me here. I walked into the estate through the servan entrance, nearly colliding with Mr. Barrow.

        "Watch where you're going. You...Daniel?" The under-butlerbsaid,surprised. 

        "Thomas..." My face lit up, "I'm interviewing for the chauffeur's position."

        "Well I do hope you get it." He said laying a hand on my shoulder. This sudden contact startled me.

        "Thank you." I replied.

        I trod up the stairs for the interview and was escorted to the drawing room.

Thomas POV

        What were you thinking? He's obviously not like you, then again... Anyone can be shocked by a touch on the shoulder. Maybe I can just go listen for gossip inside. I had my smoke and I need to get him off of my mind.

       "Did you see that dashing young man that went up the stairs a few minutes ago?" Daisy remarked.

         "Sure was dashing, even more than Jimmy." A maid added.

        That was true, he is good-looking, not to mention kind. Jimmy seemed nice at first too, along with being handsome. And handsome he was, but not like Daniel. Daniel, I barely knew him, yet he already stole my  heart.

        I was so preoccupied, I didn't even see Daniel leave. What happened? I found my answer much sooner than I expected since he came back inside with a large suitcase.

        "I got the job!" Daniel said happily. 

        This is going to be a lot harder than I thought.