18. Middle of Nowhere

Rowan Bailey

My head hurts, with no memory from last night. I remember walking into the common room with Lena, but after that; lost. All of it, gone.

I said my goodbyes to everyone as I won't be seeing them for long. I didn't ask anyone about last night, not wanting to remember what awful things could've happened. Alcohol and I aren't the best of friends.

I make it to the middle of nowhere known as grandpa's house for Christmas break. As much as I loved this house, it's lonely sometimes.

The wooden house was cold on the outside, but warm on the inside. It was like any regular house; I walk up the stairs to my open room door.

I picked the smallest room in the house, but it's still not even small. It was filled with different colors that match up in a way; I picked none of it.

I liked it; it wasn't too much or too little; it was quite comforting. It had small items I used to find around the house, but I haven't changed it since then.

Grandma wanted it to be pink and elegant, but I think this is about right. Grandma, Maria Elizabeth Bates, passed away a couple of summers ago, ever since. Grandpa has always taken care of me. He doesn't talk about her, but he keeps looking at pictures of her; I know he misses her.

I grab Muffin off my bed and sat her down on the floor.

Muffin was an old cat. Grandpa and grandma have had her since they first got married. The first thing they wanted before kids was a tiny fluffy cat, which ended up becoming old but still somewhat small.

Grandma could never have kids because of Infertility, so she always called me as I was her own; I didn't mind it; she started to forget my name and calling me by my moms. She had memory loss problems.

Muffin has always been like their child. They named her after the first thing they both ordered on their first-ever date. It was going to be Muffin or Blueberry; they bonded over blueberry muffins, which was always their favorite thing to bake together. 

I lay on my bed looking around the plain white walls. This house was beautiful, it had history or a story of some sort in every room; still, I was never told about them.

Sometimes when I'm alone, I like to walk around and look at every little thing in this house; I could never get bored of it.

Halby walks into my room making me look at him, "Miss. Rowan, oh how much I've missed you-"

Halby has been our house elf since I've moved to live with grandpa and grandma, he's always looked out for me, it's like the little brother I've never been able to have. I made him a little room under the stairs with many things that were for my brother since there was no other use for it, I made him his brand own elegant room.

He's always here when no one is; it's sad to think about, so I always make sure to spend Christmas and holidays with him and grandpa. Even if grandpa isn't the biggest fan of our company, we always end up celebrating together.

"Halby, I've missed you so much." I get up from the bed and squat to hug him from his level.

"Halby has spent several days planning Christmas for Miss. Rowan." he couldn't stop but smile.

"I saw a Christmas tree and some decorations on my way in. It all looks so very beautiful." I compliment.

He jumps around, "Halby is most excited to celebrate with Miss. Rowan."

"We'll definitely celebrate," I assured with a little laugh.

I hugged him once more and sat down to catch up with him.

Most house-elves aren't treated the best, but I try to make them happy whenever I meet one. They're all so different but so alike, sometimes I wish I could host a house-elf slumber-party for Halby, I know he would enjoy it.

Grandpa barges in and clears his throat, "Dinner at the Malfoy's at six-"

He gives a small nod and walks back away, without a word. 

I usually complain in my head. Good thing, I do. Can't wait to see Draco!

"Miss. Rowan needs to get ready," he stands from the floor, "Halby will leave and warm up her gloves."

I smile and watch as he leaves, I stand up from the floor as well and take a warm shower to cool-down.

Malfoy's were always close to my family. They were close with my parents and soon enough Draco and I became best of friends. We would all go everywhere together; that's why I always see Draco as my brother. I would believe he sees me as his sister, but I can't read minds.

Our families would host balls, dinners, celebrations, and anything to have an excuse to dress up. Sometimes I love it.

They all met at the ages of eleven through twelve. They kept their bonds and friendships since then and introduced their own to one another; Draco and me.

I plan to do the same, really. Keep in touch with Lena, Blaise, and Draco, to soon enough introduce our kids to one another.

I stop the shower and take a breath.

I dry myself off and grab the first dress I found to slide right on. A tight, long sleeve dress to hide my red wrist. It was nothing to fancy, but yet again it was just the Malfoy's.

I head downstairs, with grandpa all ready to go.

"I'll say hi to Vokbey, for you." I smile back at Halby before leaving.

Here comes the F U N! Also, I'm hoping you're getting a better view of her 'story'. It's important.

POSTING TWO CHAPTERS TODAY!