Chapter 9

"Oregon?" 

"Yep." Hayley emphasizes the 'p'

"Okay." Hope starts to pull out of the driveway, as I pull my phone out to tell Lizzie.

Me: Remember the place where you pretended to kill Hope in order to get me back in Oregon?

Lizzie: Yes???? Why???

Me: Well that's where we need to go according to the kids.

Lizzie: That's three days away???!!!

Me: I know, but we need to get there quickly.

Lizzie: Ugh, fine. Where do you want to meet?

Me: The gas station outside of town. 

Lizzie: Got it. 

"So Lizzie is going to meet us at the gas station outside of town, and MG will be coming too."

"Okay." Hope gives me a smile, and I take her hand while her other hand is on the wheel. 

"We're gonna see Aunt Liz?!" Hayley asks, excitedly. 

"And Uncle MG?!" Eli mirrors Hayley's enthusiasm. 

"Yeah." 

"Yay!" 

Their faces keep the wide grins, that look totally like Hope's, the whole way to the gas station. When we arrive I see Lizzie and MG leaning on their car, and the kids fly out as soon as Hope parks. I go to stop them as well as Hope, but it seems to be too late the kids have already hugged both of them. Lizzie looks up at me with wide eyes and confused. 

"Lizzie, MG these are Hope's and my kids." 

"I'm Hayley."

"I'm Elijah, but everyone calls me Eli. Except you Aunt Lizzie you call me little E." 

"Do I look good in the future, do I have any wrinkles or anything?"

"Lizzie!" I scold. 

She shrugs in indifference then looks at the kids, I look over to Hope and she has her game face on. The face that says 'I am going to show no emotion so no one can get to me'. I take her hand into mine, giving it a firm squeeze with a smile and a kiss on the cheek. 

"Ugh gag. I don't need to see my sister and the dwarf kiss, that makes my appetite shrink to the size of Hope's stature." 

"Really Lizzie?" I ask with an eyebrow.

She shrugs then turns to whisper in Mg's ear, Hope puts her arm around my waist.

"Mama?" Hayley asks. 

Hope turns to see Hayley looking up at her with wide puppy dog eyes. 

"What's up?"

"Can we get snacks for the road?"

"Yeah, let's go." 

Hope takes her arm and the two walk inside for some snacks. Eli walks over to me, and starts clinging to my side. I look down at him, but he just hides his face into my side. 

"What is it, Eli?" 

"I want to ride with you mom. I'm scared to ride with other people." 

I kneel down to the preteen, his large brown eyes match mine as his lips turn to a pout. 

"Okay, how about this I sit in the back with you, and Hayley sits up front with mama. Deal?" 

He nods aggressively then jumps into my arms which takes me by surprise, but I hug him a little tighter after a bit. He pulls away from the hug, and kisses my cheek sweetly.