Chapter Six: Alopex Part Two

A/N: This is gonna be quite a long chapter... Also, that's how Leatherhead looks.

Ichi's P.O.V.

The figure that stepped closer to us was huge, but didn't seem to want to hurt us. When I could see more clearly, I realized that it was a mutant alligator. He was gigantic!

"Alopex? What are you doing here? And who's she?" The alligator asked, turning to me.

"Ichi, right? Could you please give us a little privacy, please," Alopex asked me.

I nodded and walked a little behind the corner. I knew it wasn't good to eavesdrop on people's conversations, but the two spoke in such low voices that even my sensitive frill-ears had trouble picking up words.

Alopex spoke first. I could only hear some words. "Yeah, I quit... it's only her left..."

Who was she talking about? I wondered.
The alligator, apparently named Leatherhead, also spoke. "Are you sure? She doesn't seem so, uh, what's the word..." "I think she'll handle it... Tigerclaw, he's such a..."

"Will I ever see you again? You've been such a good friend to me, especially in the Foot Clan," Leatherhead said. He sounded sad.

Foot Clan?

"I know, but it's for the best. Tigerclaw was bound to kill me soon, anyway," Alopex laughed a little. "Besides, she'll need your guidance while I'm gone." Her tone got a little quieter and more gentle.

I could tell they were having a moment. But they acted like it would be their last.
It was quiet for a while, and then the two came to meet me. "I hope to see you again, soon," Leatherhead said to me. "If you need someone to just talk to, I'll be here."

"Um, okay," I said in a questionable tone. Alopex quickly took my claw and we bade farewell to Leatherhead. However, Alopex shot him a stern look.

"He seemed nice," I said to Alopex. She nodded in agreement. When it got a little quiet and a bit awkward, I decided to ask her questions to get to know her better.

"So, how long have you been living like this in the shadows of New York?"

"I have been living here for about 10 years," Alopex said. "Oh, really? Where did you live before," I asked.

"I used to live in Japan," she said.

"Me, too! I remember all the Shoyu ramen my sister and I would love to eat, even though my mom deprived us of it because she said it was "unhealthy"! We would mostly pick out the chashu and the boiled eggs and eat them separately!" I laughed. Alopex laughed, too. "So, you moved here from Japan or what?" I asked.

"Well," she started, "it's more of a personal question, but since you seem trustworthy, I'll tell you." Alopex hesitated for a while, but she took a deep breath.

"One day, my brother and I were playing on the playground, and suddenly, a portal brought us to a weird lab, tanks filled with green mutagen. A mad alchemist experimented on us with animals, and somehow merged our DNA with theirs. Now, I keep having these weird hallucinations as if I lived in the wild as an arctic fox," she said. I could only imagine.

"Oh, I'm sorry for bringing that up," I said sympathetically. "And your brother? What's his name?"

"Ugh, I hate him soo much," Alopex scoffed, "his name is Takeshi, but in case you ever meet him, punch him in the face and tell him it was from Alopex." I giggled, and she smiled a little.

The two of us finally stopped at a wall. "Are we waiting for someone, or..." I got a little confused. The fox shook her head, and, with her paw facing the wall, it opened like an animal's jaw.