chapter 10

san was taking a walk outside that night for some fresh air. he just checked his phone minutes ago and received a picture from seonghwa. it's a selfie of him and yeosang eating bbq together. he smiled at it. "they're so lucky. why can't i have that kind of love story? simple and easy." he asked himself then realized, 

"oh, yeah. my life has always been complicated. seonghwa, how does it feels like to be god's favorite, huh?" san was just rambling at himself at this point. "why can't wooyoung be single? wouldn't that be easier? at least i have a chance with him." he kicked a pebble on the pavement with his foot.

"i wonder what he's doing with hwayoung tonight. they must've been having a lot of fun, i bet." 

later, san arrived at his special place, the basketball court. he'd always liked being there especially at night. san made his way to the bench he'd always sit on but stopped dean on his track. there was someone else sitting there by himself. 

the boy looked up and their eyes met. san blinked at him. "wooyoung?"

"what are you doing here?"

they both said in unison. san cleared his throat and answered, "i'm just out for a breather."

wooyoung nodded in answer. "oh, come sit here and join me." he patted on the bench which san did as he offered. "what about you? why are you here? how was your date with hwayoung?" san asked. he knew about the date not because he was the one who planned it with the girl, but wooyoung also told him. yesterday, san had asked if wooyoung's free and wanted to hang out together. that's when wooyoung told him about the date at the funfair.

"t-the date?" the other male just sighed. san looked at him worriedly in return. "why? did something happen?" he asked and waited for wooyoung to answer but he just stayed quiet. now this began to worry san more. "what is it, wooyoung?"

"she..." san nodded slowly at the other. "she what?" he asked.

"she said that she loves me."

san widened his eyes in surprise at him. his lips began to smile. "she did? what did you say then?" he paused for his answer.

"i-i... i didn't."

"mwo?"

wooyoung raised his head and met san's eyes. "i didn't say anything. i just left her there." san froze in shock. not knowing what to say, he just looked at wooyoung who seemed lost in this as well.

"i don't understand. w-why– why did you do that?" perplexed, san finally asked.

hwayoung confessed to him and he would've said that he loves her back. he should've, but he didn't. wooyoung turned his head and cast his gaze somewhere else. "i know. i don't understand myself, either." he answered. he bent down and put his elbows on his knees. lowering his head, wooyoung brought his hands to his hair.

san frowned at him. he never saw wooyoung acting like this; confused and lost. it pained him to witness this side of him. "hey... it's okay. you can tell me what's wrong. i'm always here for you." san felt pity stabbing his heart when he looked at wooyoung. he held his shoulder with his hand and gripped it gently to assure him.

"i just... i don't know what to do," wooyoung muttered.

"well, just tell her that you love her back." san said but wooyoung shook his head. "that's the problem," he said.

"what is it?"

wooyoung exhaled and answered, "i don't love her, san." san blinked at his response, completely confused. it's almost didn't make any sense to him. "you don't love her?" he asked again just to make sure and wooyoung nodded. suddenly, the male's body was shaking. soft sobs were heard in the night air. san widened his eyes at wooyoung who seemed were crying. "are you... crying?"