chapter 14

"we broke up because he likes somebody else." hwayoung stated shortly.

san stared at her in shock. then he asked, "are you okay with it?"

hwayoung tried pulling a smile. "i'm not sure. i've loved him with all my heart and this is what i get. i guess we're just not meant to be..."

"so, are you just gonna let him go that easily?" san asked.

"i guess i am. there's no point in keeping him with me. if he likes somebody else then what? it's not his fault for not being able to like me and it's not my fault either for not trying enough. so, yeah. i think i'm good." hwayoung said. she could still feel pain in her heart because of that. however, she held on to what her late mother always told her; find someone that can love you back just as much as you love them.

san sighed in relief after hearing that. he felt like the dirty feeling of guilt had been washed away from his chest. "i see. i'm terribly sorry to hear that, hwayoung. but i hope you'll find somebody else that deserves you." he told.

"no, it's fine. and thank you, san. i do deserve someone else and wooyoung deserves someone so much better. just... not me." she said lastly.

after leaving that restaurant, it was nighttime. san ended up finding himself at his favorite place, the basketball court. he smiled softly as it reminded him of the memory of why that place is special in the first place.

flashback: first year of high school.

"good morning, everyone. my name is mr kim seokjin and i'll be your substitute teacher for today."

it was choi san's first year of high school. it's been a month since the first day and he had not made any friends yet. not like he'd care about it, anyway. he's better off alone so that he would not get involved in trouble. so far, he's getting the hang of it.

the students in the class were making noises and things were about to get out of hand. "listen, class! i expect you to either finish your homework without talking or just take a nap. if you can't do either of those, i will force you to hear my dad jokes and i'm telling you, you will not like it." the class became quiet suddenly, afraid to talk back. and it stayed like that then.

san was flipping on his mathematics exercise book, finding what topic he should do in the meantime.

"maybe i'll do a new topic... probability? sounds great." san shrugged and proceeded to do it. he's sitting at the back corner of the class, near the window. it was his favorite spot and his comfort zone. however, not for today and ever since.

"hey, look. the quiet kid is studying." he heard someone said nearby his seat.

that was one of the problems san found out. when sitting at the back made him feel comfortable from having to talk to people, the back seats were also occupied by the students suck as; troublemakers.

san rolled his eyes in secret at them. he continued to kill the time by finishing a few pages of his exercise book. though, his focus was yet again disturbed. "how pathetic. he doesn't have any friends to talk to." another one of the boys said again.

"what do you mean he doesn't have any? how about those books?"

laughter broke out into the air. san sighed at their remarks but just stayed quiet. minutes later, the bell rang, signaling them all that it's time for recess. san hurriedly closed his book and put away his stuff into his bag. he then stood up to leave the class when he heard someone called him from the back.

"yo, san!"

san bit his lips and the boy behind him went on, "eating alone again today? why don't you join us? wait, nevermind. you can't because you'll always be the loner." again, the class was filled with laughter. san felt humiliated by it and left the class hurriedly.