chapter 12

the next day arrived and san brought with him wooyoung's sweater to return it to him. he was strolling in the hallway during recess and he had done eating. he's searching for wooyoung and after a few minutes, he found him by the locker.

seeing him brought a smile to san. he began to stride there, with wooyoung's sweater in his arms hugging to his chest. however, before san could even get near his soon-to-be-forgotten-crush, a girl was there first.

san stopped in his track abruptly, causing his black nike air to make a squeaking sound on the floor. realizing that wooyoung could've heard him, he hastily went to hide behind a nearby locker. though he didn't plan to leave yet and he didn't know why. maybe he was worried. san sighed but stayed still, deciding to watch the event and eavesdrop.

wooyoung was cleaning his locker when he heard footsteps near him. then, there was a pat on his shoulder. "yes?"

he spun and felt his heart drop. "hwayoung..." he uttered out.

the said girl smiled a little at him. "hi, wooyoung. it's been a while and you haven't texted me since–"

"–since our date at the funfair." wooyoung continued for her. hwayoung was surprised but nodded. "y-yes... honestly, i'm sorry if i've made you uncomfortable that night. i shouldn't have said that out of the blue." she added.

wooyoung didn't want to remember the event that night but of course, hwayoung had to bring it up. "n-no, it's fine. i'm the one who should apologize to you. you know, for leaving you there and not take you home. i'm such a bad boyfriend." he said, feeling guilty at the same time.

"eh, don't say that. i got home safely and the stuffed bear was there to accompany me," hwayoung said to assure wooyoung. she then added, "actually, i'm here to tell you something, wooyoung."

wooyoung raised his head at her words. he met her eyes then and he asked, "s-sure. what is it?"

inhaling deeply, hwayoung spoke, "i was being serious that night. i really do love you. can we please make this work? wooyoung, i can't let you go..."

san widened his eyes and gaped at what he just heard. he lifted his hand to cover his mouth. he looked at wooyoung then to see his reaction. he was saying something, san tried listening to his words but he couldn't hear his low voice.

"aish,"

san stuck out his head so that only his eyes were visible. he watched the couple and what happened froze him at the spot. the two were kissing. san could feel his heart shatter into trillion pieces and if that doesn't explain how pained he was at the time, he didn't know what else could. he removed his gaze and laid his back at the wall. he should've been happy for them. they made out and everything turned to be good.

so why did san's heart started to ache? he felt tears welling up so he blinked his eyes for it to go away. "no, san. you should stop doing this." san shook his head vigorously, whispering to himself. "he'll be happy and you need to be happy too, just... not with him. for real, move on." he sighed heavily and dropped his eyes at the sweater in his hands.

"i guess i'll need you again to cry myself out for the last time tonight." san said. he then wiped his tears from his eyes and walked away to his class.

that night, san put on wooyoung's sweater one last time and laid down on his bed after switching off the lights. he took his phone then and plugged in his earphone. opening his spotify, san went to one of his playlists, "sad songs to cry to because your crush is officially and forever taken while you remain single endlessly." san inhaled and nodded. "this will be the last time, san. don't worry." putting his volume on full, san began playing the songs.