intership

C H A P T E R  6

"Faine, where's my charger?" I asked my roommate as I walked into the living room. I thought better of waking her—her snores could wake the dead, and her student copy lay perilously close to her open mouth. I couldn't help but feel sorry for whichever poor kid got their paper back with her saliva all over it.

Internship season had arrived; she was off to an elementary school while I was starting mine at the only company that accepted me. Adjusting my shirt and skirt in the mirror, I sighed and readied myself for the day.

Bag slung over my shoulder, I left the dormitory. The hallway was dim at 7 am, my hands clammy with nerves. Beginning an internship alone was daunting, especially when it seemed I was the only one headed to Baltes.

I'd heard rumors about the company president being kind to interns—maybe I could secure a recommendation. The salary was generous, enough to support multiple families. I hoped I'd make a good impression.

As I waited for my taxi, I heard a loud engine. Mentally pep-talking myself, I glanced up, expecting a yellow cab. Instead, a sleek black car with a crown symbol on its front and royal insignia on its plates pulled up. A royal car? Perhaps they were here for someone else. Shrugging, I distracted myself with my phone.

Glancing down, I noticed a pair of impeccable shoes. If only I had shoes like that—I'd never let them touch the ground. Looking up, I saw him: the Prince.

Gasping, I bowed. "Your Highness."

Lifting my head, I smacked into his chest, eliciting a chuckle. "Ow," I whined, rubbing my scalp. His hand smoothed my hair back into place.

"Are you alright, Hemilia?" His pronunciation sent butterflies fluttering—this was a feeling I'd never experienced before.

"I'm fine, Your Highness," I sighed, stepping back to regard the striking man with a frown. What had I done?

"For heaven's sake, please call me Rhyker!" He snapped, clearly annoyed. Had I offended him?

"I'm sorry, Rhyker," I bowed, fearing repercussions.

"Don't be scared of me, kawaī on'nanoko," he said softly, catching my gaze. His use of the foreign term startled me. (pretty girl)

"Japanese?" I asked quietly.

"Mother's Japanese, father's half-German," he said proudly. I was surprised by the royal couple's diverse heritage.

"Then you speak Japanese?" I stated. He chuckled; I'd always found the language beautiful but daunting to learn.

"I understand and speak fluently," he smiled, slipping off his gloves, revealing his hands and a solitary ring. I wondered if it signified an engagement.

"Shall we continue that conversation inside my car?" he proposed, gesturing towards the sleek black car behind him.

"I'm supposed to go to my internship company, so unfortunately, I can't, Rhyker," I said uncomfortably, using his name with trepidation. Addressing nobility directly by name felt unfamiliar and inappropriate.

"Well, you are doing it at the royal palace."

I frowned, confused. What was he suggesting?

"I'm not. I'm interning at Baltes."

"Well, unfortunately, Baltes isn't a good company," he declared, seizing my arm and leading me towards the car. I tried to shake him off, but his grip tightened, making me feel as though I might vanish.