A Moment In Time

"This game is horrible." Kayla said to Jim who sat across from her at the table. They had a chess game going and she was rather bad at it. He just smiled at her.

"It takes skill."

"Which I obviously don't have." Kayla said looking at her options and trying to see the moves that could be done.

"He's a cheat."

"I am no such thing." Jim said looking up at Savon who appeared behind Kayla. She turned her head up to look at him.

He looked in a decent mood today, yesterday she thought that he looked distracted and had gone out for a long time before returning. Not that she should care or notice, but she had. She was interested in him though she shouldn't be. He drank blood, was part demon or acolyte, that should put a person on your black list. Then again that wasn't really odd in their world was it?

"You're a horrible liar." Savon said teasing him. Jim was older, in his early seventies which was old for this day and age. Kayla liked playing chess with him or talking to him. He had such wonderful stories of what the world was like before.

"He's kicking my ass." Kayla said turning forward.

"Yes he is." Savon commented putting his hands on the back of her chair and looking at the board. He'd come over here because he wanted to. He was growing tired of just watching her. They'd been here for a week now with no incident.

"May I?" He asked gesturing to the board.

"Feel free can't do worse than I am." She said, he leaned forward his arm coming around her right and moved the bishop. Jim looked at him and then back to the board. Jim moved and Kayla glanced at Savon.

"Move the rook." He said pointing over her and to where she should put it. Kayla did as he said and they went about this a few times, and she realized after a bit that she might have a chance with him helping her.

He was close where he leaned on her chair and she got the scent of him. Like a mix of woods and something she couldn't name. Like a sharp spice scent, she just faced forward for the moment watching Jim.

Savon moved and grabbed a chair that was near them and turned it around and straddled it watching the game. He didn't give her a suggestion on her next move but she did what he would have and Jim had a thoughtful expression on his face.

"I think I liked it better when you stood over in the corner. Not helping this lovely young lady beat an old man."

"It's always in your favor to help the beautiful young woman over the old man." Savon said and Kayla gave him a smile where Jim gave a laugh.

"Typical young man." He leaned across the board a bit and looked at Kayla. "He's right you know, always better for your favor."

"Do men always think with one part of the body?" She asked moving her piece now that Jim had. Jim gave a wounded look and Savon just watched her, he held a bit of a smile there. He knew with Kayla it was better to be direct than hint around it. Though to much wouldn't get him anywhere.

"Why is it that women always see men as less?" Savon asked Jim and he moved his piece.

"Because you are incapable of complex thoughts when around the opposite sex." She said with a smile and made her move.

"There you have it, women will always underestimate us. One we are very good at thinking of two things at once. It just happens that sex pops up to the front first and is normally one of the two." Jim said making his move. Kayla made her move and took one of his pieces.