Twelve

Although I came back to Mississauga, my mind was in New York. I missed my mother, father, and Taylor when I was in New York, but I enjoyed my time there with Farrah. I am twenty-three years old and yet I still live with my parents – most of the adults of my age are doing something with their life and here I was – unemployed, living with my parent, and eating fruit loops for breakfast. I thought about sharing the idea of a move to New York with my parents, but each time I chickened out. What if moving to another country isn't the best option for me?

"What happened to you?" I smelled him before he sat at the dining table. I slowly chewed as I looked at him humming some song while grabbing an apple. My father lowered his newspaper and glanced sideways towards Taylor as well before he looked at me. He raised his eyebrow and I chuckled.

"Nothing happened to me. What happened to you?" I asked him as my gaze averted on his hair. I frowned, "Did you color your hair?" I asked him. Dad looked towards Taylor's hair as well. Taylor glanced towards Dad before his eyes met mine as his hand touch his well-styled hair – now caramel brown hair. He glanced at me and looked down at the apple that he had in his hand, "Yeah, so what?" he asked as he shrugged. I chuckled and looked at my Dad, who looked amused as well. I sniffed, "Nice perfume, but I think it is too much – she might not like it." I said.

He frowned and looked up, "Shut up, there is no one. And what happened to you? When was the last time when took shower or combed your hair?" he asked peevishly. I chuckled and rolled my eyes, "I will when I will have to impress someone." I said. His eyes rolled skywards, "I don't have anyone to impress." He groaned.

"I didn't say that you dress up, colored your hair, and used an awful amount of perfume to impress anyone." I shrugged. That left him speechless. Dad laughed and folded his newspaper. I believe we were entertaining him more. Taylor opened his mouth before closing it. I laughed at him as he got up from the chair. "You weren't missed at all." He narrowed his eyes and grabbed the apple before striding towards his room. "I missed you too, brother," I said loudly as heard him closing his bedroom door.

"He brought a girl last week. She was loud." He shrugged in disgust. I laughed and lift my knee to my chest. "Really?" I asked interestingly. He wrinkled his nose, "Don't ask me anything else. Let's just say we all had quite awkward breakfast the next morning." He stopped me before I could ask anything. I laughed. Just when my father started reading the newspaper and I stood up with the empty bowl. Taylor walked out of his room with a different shirt on. I looked at my Dad and exchanged an understanding look. "The perfume was too much, wasn't it?" I asked him as he hanged his bag over his shoulder and strode towards the door before mumbling a low 'shut up'. "Mom, Dad – I am leaving for school, bye." He said and hurriedly walked out of the house. As soon as he went out Dad and I busted into laughter. Mom came out of her room with a smile on her face, "What's funny?" she asked. We both shook our heads and resumed doing our tasks.

After Dad went to an office – it was just my mom and I. I went into my bedroom to see a message from Farrah – telling me that Liana and she misses me. I smiled at the picture in which Liana and Farrah were pouting with the caption 'we miss you'. I missed them too. I sighed and replied to them with a selfie of my own – in which I was pouting as well. I wrote 'I miss you both' and send it to Farrah's number. It has been a week since I came back. Each day I would look up for jobs, but I haven't applied anywhere yet. In the afternoon, I went grocery shopping with mom. I was so bored – I wanted a job as soon as possible.

In the evening when Dad came back home, I was watching television in the lounge. He sighed and sat beside me, "What are you watching?" he asked. I shrugged, "A movie." I mumbled. I wasn't paying much attention to the movie anyway – my mind was on how bored I was and how badly I needed a job. My father bobbed his head and stretched his arms over the couch's header. "Hey! Weren't you looking for a job, got any luck yet?" he asked him.

I muted the television as looked towards him. I pouted, "No, but I am looking for it." I told him.

He nodded, "Well if you are interested – I have a job in mind that I believe that you'll like. Well, not exactly like, but I think you'll consider it." He told me.

I chuckled and unmuted the television before averting my gaze at the television's screen. I know what he would propose – to work with him. I tried once believe me, but working in a lawyer's firm was boring than watching the paint dry. "Really and where is it?" I asked him uninterestingly.

"In New York." He replied. His reply made me jerk my head towards him – thankfully I didn't snap my neck in the process.

"What?" I asked him.

He chuckled, "Andy, we are not blind – we can see how much you miss New York. You might not say it to us, but we know that you want to move in with Farrah and Liana." He told me.

I narrowed, "Did Farrah say that to you?" I asked him.

He shook his head, "No, but we did talk to her." he replied. I knitted my brows, "What? Why?" I asked bewilderedly.

"So, that she would sponsor you for a green card." I heard my mother. I turned around my head to see her walking out of the kitchen while wiping his hand with a towel cloth. I wasn't sure how to react. I let out a chuckle, "Mom – Dad." I whispered and hugged my dad. I didn't even say anything to them – yet they knew how I was thinking about moving to New York. I have been battling for days – I wasn't sure how they would react if I ask them to move to New York. I know, I am an adult and I can make my own decisions, but my parent's opinions matter a lot to me. I love how they read my mind. "Yes – yes, the only dad deserves love. Mom didn't do anything." Mom sighed dramatically and sat beside me. I chuckled through tears and hugged her tightly. She laughed and hugged me back. "Was it that obvious that I wasn't myself here?" I asked them as I pulled away from her.

Dad chuckled, "Yes, you have gone quiet since you returned." He said. "And the sighing – oh God, I was fed up of you sighing after every other minute," Mom added, causing me to laugh.

"Now, about the job – it isn't the best one, but I think you will consider it," Dad said. I turned my head towards him. "You remember, my friend Gwen? Gwen Timberlake?" he asked me.

I knitted my brows together, "That psychiatrist?" I asked him.

He nodded, "Yes." He nodded. "She lives in New York and her assistant left the job. Just yesterday I was talking to her over the phone and she asked if you want to work as her assistant? I know your experience as an assistant wasn't the best, but at least it is a job." He shrugged. "And it is in New York." He added. "Also, she has a temporary assistant, but you can join her after a month." He told me.

"And if you think that you will get a good job here in Canada, then the baby that would be –" my mom started, but my dad sighed and eyed her.

"Juliet." My dad interrupted her.

"What? I just wanted to make sure that she doesn't feel like we were kicking her out." My mother defended herself. No matter what she says – I know she must want me to stay. I have four siblings and when my three siblings moved out – my mother tried her every bit to stop them – especially when Cassandra went to London to study medicine. I chuckled and hugged her again, "I love you, mom." I said to her.

"Thank you so much, you guys," I told them as I pulled away from mom.

"So, what should I say to Gwen? Will you work as her assistant?" Dad asked me.

"Are you kidding me? Yes!" I said.