chapter 4

The council was here. At Everglen. After they confessed who they liked. UGH!

"Why us?" asked Sophie into the room, breaking the silence

"Because we're powerful and they don't want us on the council in the future," Keefe replied, flipping his hair.

"Or they want to see what will happen if we... you know... yeah," added Dex.

Sophie groaned, "Why don't we just go see?"

They agreed and they went down Everglen's grand staircase and were met with 12 pairs of very blue eyes.

"I see you've finally joined us," Councillor Emery said, looking at Sophie.

"We decided to wonder privately instead of in front of you," Sophie retorted.

Councillor Alina rolled her eyes, "Right to the point, you will each receive 1 scroll with 3 matches. You will pick these matches within 2 weeks of receiving your scroll,  2 years is your deadline for marriage, and 5 years after that, you will be expected to have kids. This is to see with all of your powerful abilities, if your kids will have the same amount of power. Got it?"

"Wait, wait, wait. You're choosing our 3 matches?" asked Keefe, looking upset.

"We know these are unique circumstances, so we will give you 3 matches only. The deadlines are to see if our experiment works," Oralie said, but not without a tinge of sadness in her voice.

"Whatever. And I'm assuming we're bad matches if we do anything without following those guidelines?" asked Biana, becoming angier.

"Yes, your scrolls will be here in 2 days. You should probably stay together," said Councillor Noland.

"Whatever," Dex replied as the councillors glittered away.

"Can you believe they're making us do this?" asked Fitz, the first question since we found out the councillors were here.

"Yes," whispered Sophie, "you're my friends, and this was bound to happen. Sorry."

With that, Sophie ran out of Everglen, and didn't stop until she found a lake with moonlarks gliding across the surface.

A couple minutes later, a voice said behind her said, "It's not your fault."

Sophie turned, "Fitz?"

"Yeah, sorry I snuck up on you," he breathed, looking like he wanted to give me a hug.

Can I give you a hug? He transmitted, confirming her thoughts.

Ok, I forgive you

That got a smile and a chuckle as he wrapped his strong arms around Sophie.

Thank you

Anything for you. Anything.

Well, I guess, thank you again

Stop saying thank you. I'm just happy we're okay

Sophie looked up at him.

Aren't we more than okay, I mean... with today and everything

Only if you want to be. But with the matchmaking scrolls and everything... maybe we should stay secret?

Okay

Sophie looked up a Fitz and they shared the first genuine smile together in a while. Since their argument.

"You're so amazing," Fitz whispered.

Sophie blushed, "Oh, please. I got us into this matchmaking mess."

"Don't blame that on yourself. It's not your fault the council decided to control our lives. You are amazing. Never forget that."

Sophie looked at him, "I don't deserve you."

Fitz replied, "Uhhh no. Don't go there. If anything, I don't deserve you."

Sophie rolled her eyes and looked at him, "Should we head back? And we're not telling them, right?"

Fitz nodded his head in confirmation to both of her questions.

"Okay, let's go," Sophie said, tangling their fingers together.

Fitz looked at their hands, and smiled.

I'm really happy right now.

Me too.