chapter 19

"The council is coming!" shouted Keefe, and Sophie couldn't help but smile at the reference.

After Biana finished primping all four of the girls, they were breathless.

Marella's Dress

Sophie's Dress

Biana's Dress

Linh's Dress

Marella was obviously not used to all of the primping, and she was very flushed after Biana was done with her

After Biana was done fluffing up the dresses and saying the girls looked, "fine", they headed downstairs.

Keefe may not respect the council, but according to Biana, they needed to look their best. The girls opted for the same shade of dark red lipstick and the same braid around their head.

As they walked down the stairs, purposely late, the council and the boys looked up at them, and there was a collective gasp.

"Well then, it seems the girls are ready, so you need to choose now," Emery said, and Sophie instantly felt a deep hatred for him. Just because they were powerful, doesn't mean they'd want to be on the council.

"My match is Sophie Foster," Fitz spoke up first, and Sophie smiled in acknowledgement. The girls had decided on quiet but intimidating.

"Okay, congrats," Aliana said, rolling her eyes at Sophie, "who's next?"

Dex stepped forward, a grin showing his dimples, and a blush that spread to his ears. "Umm, Marella Rerick."

Marella also nodded her assent, and the council was getting annoyed. They weren't used to being intimidated.

Tam also stepped forward, and Biana nodded her assent.

But things changed when it was Keefe's turn.

"Look, I love Linh, I really do, and we will get married. But the thing is, we were on each other's match lists. So me picking Linh doesn't mean I'm following along. Got it?"

Linh smiled at him, then steeled herself. When the council looked at her, they were only met with another nod of assent.

"Right then. Thank you," Councillor Noland whispered before Emery or Alaina could talk. 

The councliers took note of who was with who, and glittered away.

Alden and Della came out from behind a pillar and didn't look ashamed to be caught eavesdropping.

"We're so proud of you guys!" Della gushed, happy that we found a way to make the council uncomfortable.

Keefe turned to Linh, "I didn't want to offend you, I promise. It's just they've been pushing us around and I-"

Linh silenced him by putting a finger to his lips, "It's okay."

Keefe sighed in relief, and hugged Linh. It was good to see them okay, Sophie thought.

Fitz walked up behind Sophie and dangled a beautiful rose pendant around her neck. Sophie touched it, and turned into him.

"Thank you," the pendant had rubies and diamonds encrusting the petals at the center.

"Anything for you," Fitz said leaning in.

They were interrupted by a clearing of a throat.

"You sure there's nothing new in Fitzphie land?" Keefe raised his eyebrows, but Sophie noticed he had his arm draped across Linh's shoulders.

"You're one to talk," Fitz laughed, "you told the councilers you loved Linh before you told her yourself."

Keefe went pink and turned to face Linh, "I love you," he told her seriously.

A blush blossomed on her cheeks, "I love you too, Keefe."

Before anything could get more awkward, Fitz grabbed Sophie's hand and led her back to his garden.

"Look, Sophie. I know we've been through some tough things, but that doesn't change the fact that I love you, and always will. So please," he got down on one knee (a/n elves do that, right?) "Sophie Elizabeth Foster, will you do me the great honor that I don't deserve, and become my wife?"

Sophie covered her mouth, speechless. "Yes!" before she knew what she was doing, Sophie jumped into Fitz's arms.

Fitz took this as a signal and pressed his lips softly and gently against hers.

When they stepped apart, the were both grinning like idiots.

"YESSSSS!!!" Sophie heard Biana from inside the house, but it only make her smile more.

Fitz slipped a teal and gold ring onto Sophie's ring finger and they headed inside, to the gasps of everybody.