chapter 17

The week that followed Sophie's arrival, there was a flurry of hailings, presents, and well wishes. Sophie appreciated all of them, of course, but Fitz's visits were the best.

He kept trying to make it up to Sophie for leaving her behind at the Neverseen's hideouts, but as Sophie had told him numerous times, she didn't care because he was safe.

Fitz was conscious long enough to send a message to his dad, who in turn found Fitz at the halfway leap point. They must have separated them, because Alden couldn't find Sophie, and was forced to leave with only Fitz.

"Here you go," Fitz walked over, handing Sophie a teal blue box with a gray bow.

"I didn't realize you liked to match colors," Sophie joked, taking the box and thanking him. That entire week had bee full of presents and sweets, and time with him.

Long story short, the best week ever.

Keefe, Linh, Dex, and Marella came by to see Sophie the day before, but seeing them all together made Sophie suspect a double date.

Not that that was bad.

Sophie opened the box, and inside was an engraved pendant that said, 

I didn't fall in love with you,
I walked into love with you.
With my eyes wide open

With every step I take, I become more sure

I love you

Sophie's breath caught in her throat. They had said like, but never love. This was a whole new big thing, and Fitz was putting himself out there for her. 

Sophie looked up and Fitz saw the look in her eyes.

"I do," he started, "I love you."

"Woah," Sophie said, and Fitz grinned at her shock.

"Don't be so surprised, because you're amazing, and wonderful, and I don't deserve you," Fitz was looking at Sophie expectantly, and surprisingly, she understood why.

"I love you, too" she said, and Fitz grinned, and spun her around in the falling petals of Calla's pankas tree.

For that bright and shining moment, everything was perfect.