chapter 10

"Hey," Fitz calls across the Havenfield pastures.

"Hey," I meet him in the middle.

"So, since we're kind of you know... together I thought we could go somewhere," he stuttered.

"Ok," Sophie laughed, "let me change first. I just got done brushing Verdi's teeth."

Sophie ran inside and changed into a pale yellow tunic with navy blue skin tight pants, and knee-high boots.

She walked out of the house and walked to Fitz. He grinned and said, "You're beautiful."

Sophie blushed, "Thanks."

"I meant it," he gently lifted her chin to meet his eyes, "you deserve all the compliments in the world. You are brave, bold, beautiful, and smart. Don't shrug off the compliments I pay you. You're awesome."

"Thank you," Sophie replied, blushing a deep crimson.

Fitz gave her a movie star smile and held his pathfinder up to the light. He held his hand out and Sophie took it, stepping into the light.

The light swept them away in a flurry of soft feathers. 

Or maybe that was Sophie's perception of it because she was holding Fitz's hand.

"And this is Geode Fort," Fitz swept his hand towards the beautiful field full of the sparkling mineral. In the middle of the field was a small picnic on a checkered blanket, but as they got closer, Sophie saw that there was only desserts on the blanket.

"Mallowmelt, rippleruffs, blitzenberry muffins, butterblasts, and custard bursts!" Fitz exclaimed.

"Thank you, Fitz," Sophie turned and hugged him.

He leaned into the embrace. Sophie noticed his heart was racing almost has fast as hers was, and at that moment, she believed that Fitz actually liked her.

He lead her towards the picnic basket and they dug in.

~~~Fitz's POV

Fitz still couldn't believe that Sophie liked him, even after that dare he did. She had blushed a lot when he had giving her that speech about compliments, so maybe she liked him back the same way. Maybe.

He watched Sophie load her plate with mallowmelt and custard bursts. She must have forgotten about Brant at the moment.

"Do you like it?" I asked nervously.

"Yes, especially about the part that you made all this," she gestured towards the food, "for me."

"You're worth it," I replied simply.

~~~Biana's POV

"Tam," Biana giggled, "where are we going?"

Tam was leading Biana through a garden near Everglen, just out of the property.

"I found this place," Tam said, coming up to a door, "and it reminded me of you."

Biana watched Tam blush for a minute, and after he opened the door, she sucked in a breath, "Tam, wow."

He blushed even more, "A beautiful garden for a beautiful girl."

"Thank you, and I'll only acknowledge the fact that you called me beautiful."

"Ok," for the rest of the afternoon, Tam lead Biana through the garden, and at the end, Biana gave him a peck and told him she'd see him at school.

~~~Tam's POV

"So how's Biana?" asked Fitz, talking to both Tam and Keefe.

"Good," Tam replied, obviously didn't want to talk about it anymore, so Keefe broke the silence.

"Linh's good, too. She's really awesome now that I've gotten to know her." 

"Sophie is awesome, too. Gosh, I don't know how to tell her this but I want Sophie to be my match."

"Wow, dude. That's a big step," Dex added from the back corner of the room, fiddling with a gadget.

"I know, but she's amazing. I just don't know how to tell her."

"Not to bring you down from cloud 9," Keefe added, "but the council comes tomorrow to give us the match lists."

"Yeah. I hope it works out between me and Biana," Tam saw the way Fitz was looking at him, "I wouldn't dream of hurting her."

"Cool," Fitz said, right as the girls walked into the room.

"Hey, Tam. I want it to work out, too," Biana went to sit with him.

~~~Sophie's POV

As their friend group settled down and started talking, Sophie started to believe one thing:

They could survive anything.

Boy, was she mistaken.