Chapter 1 - Biggest lovesick idiot

A/N: This story is linked to my other story 'The Dragon's Flower', sharing characters~

It can be read as stand alone!

WT 1 - Biggest lovesick idiot

Wan Ting had been strong when she faced Lu Bian, her closest childhood friend that became a stranger after years of separation. Even when her childhood friend wanted her future to be ruined by offering her body to an unknown man, she still remained tough.  

It does not make things better when Lu Bian does not remember or recognize her at all, right until Wan Ting bluntly helped in recovering her memories.

Even so, what had Wan Ting done that deserved such immoral and cruel treatment? Just because she had bravely confessed her love towards Lu Bian's master? 

But as soon as she walked away from the imprisoned Lu Bian and stepped out of the prison cell, her strong appearance immediately crumbled like sand. 

"I'm an idiot. The biggest lovesick idiot!" Wan Ting mercilessly scolded herself as she leaned on the wall tiredly. Her body was honest, trembling just like how her heart was.

Turns out it was only her that treasured the friendship with Lu Bian and foolishly waited for Long Shan to fulfill his promise to pick her up from her village after he grew up. 

It was all one-sided on her part!

"I won't call you the 'biggest'. I could easily think of one or two people that are worthy of the title."

Startled, Wan Ting straightened up, quickly made sure she had not cried and dirtied her face before turning around to see Duke Heng standing not far away from her. She did not know how long he had stood there, using the darkness to hide himself from view.

Fortunately, she had not cried and saved herself from humiliating herself again in front of the Duke. But her outburst was equally mortifying to be heard!

Hairpin swaying as Wan Ting bowed, a little lower than a formal bow of gratitude. "Thank you for allowing me to speak to your prisoner and for lending me your guards."

Duke Heng's lips twitched as he noticed Miss Wan's urge to flee was written on her face. "Letting you do so is to my benefit."

Wan Ting does not know what he meant by that, but she does not care. "I shall take my leave and will not disturb you any longer."

Although Wan Ting was not sure why Duke Heng captured Liu Bian, it could be guessed that it involved her master, the Second Prince of Guilin, Long Shan.

Long Shan was also the one Wan Ting had fallen and waited for seven years. 

"At this late hour?" Duke Heng arched an eyebrow. "You will make everyone worry by doing that. There are plenty of guest rooms available for you to stay over for a night. It will be safer to travel in the morning."

And in a better state. 

Duke Heng could see Miss Wan was acting tough despite her bruised heart. If her heart was as tough as her facade, she would never request to speak to Lu Bian and choose to settle scores in a forgiving way. 

Wan Ting was not as self-confident as to praise herself to be skilled in reading people's expressions, but Duke Heng seemed sincere with his offer. The idea further cemented when Duke Heng called for a female servant to guide her to one of the guest rooms without waiting for Wan Ting's reply.

Wan Ting gave in, as she was indeed feeling emotionally worn out. If her parents saw her current state, they will ask questions she does not want to answer. "Pardon me for the intrusion."

It was indeed dangerous to travel during the night, even if her current housing was nearby. After Duke Heng offered to bring her whole family to a safe place to hide, they found themselves in the Munzhu country, where the Duke had purchased a residence. 

Mister Wan refused to have their family further trouble Duke Heng and purchased a nearby house with a low price to settle down until they could return to the Guilin Kingdom again. Their hope to return without trouble was pitifully small, but Mister Wan was not among the ring leaders to accept bribery and would only incur small punishment if the Emperor was feeling merciful.

But it was a different situation if the Second Prince wanted to use this chance to ruin Mister Wan and impose heavy punishment on him just to have Wan Ting no longer appear before him and his fiancée.

Wan Ting felt remorseful for creating trouble for her family by being stubborn in her pursuit of love. Her mother had often persuaded her to give up on Long Shan, but she had naively believed that he would finally look at her again.

The servant had led her to a guest room which was clean with sparse decoration, but everything in the room was not inferior. Not long after Wan Ting was shown to the room she will stay for the night, a girl in a simple maid attire knocked on the door. 

"Miss, this is Chun Jin."

The stifling emotion of staying a night at a new place eased with the familiar voice "You may enter."

Chun Jin was Wan Ting's new maid after her old one was sent away. Madam Wan was unwilling to let a servant that dared to slack away and did not notice her master was kidnapped to continue her service at their household. 

If not for Duke Heng's rescue, Wan Ting's reputation would have been completely destroyed after being 'coincidentally' found in a prostitute house. Liu Chu Chu, the fiancée of Long Shan, was truly cruel to use this method to get rid of the fly that lingers around her fiancé!

"Ask a servant if it's possible for me to have a bath," Wan Ting said.

"I will go and prepare." Chun Jin silently went to complete her new task. 

Her new maid, Chun Jin, was three years younger than her. Wan Ting would have picked an older and more knowledgeable maid, if she had not seen Chun Jin's desirability traits suitable for a maid in passing.

The bath water was prepared at just the right temperature and Wan Ting sank into it with a blissful groan. Her surroundings were silent, very much different from the Wan residence where the servants were allowed to chat as long as they did their duty well. 

The Wan household belonged to the lower rank nobles and their humble wealth was enough to let them live without worry. They have a total of thirty servants, but after they fled to Munzhu country, only ten servants remained and the rest were released from their service.

They do not know when Long Shan would release the information of several ministers accepting bribes during the morning court, but it would be best if they were prepared. They need to save up as much money as they could in case the matter dragged out without income flowing in. 

Wan Ting scrubbed her face longer than usual, as if this action would help her clear her mind and worries. Today's sleep would not be restful again. 

The next morning, Wan Ting shared the same breakfast table with Duke Heng.

Duke Heng was in a good mood and his gaze on Miss Wan held more warmth than before. Because of Miss Wan, his prisoner's mouth was completely loose and spilled out every information he valued. 

When Lu Bian requested to speak to Miss Wan for the last time, Duke Heng agreed to pass on the word. "Miss Wan, Lu Bian spoke of her desire to speak to you again. There is no need for you to meet her if you do not wish to."

"Thank you, but we no longer have anything to speak of." Whatever needed to be said was already said last evening.  

Seeing how calm and collected she was, Duke Heng added an adjective, 'decisive' beside her 'sensitive' and 'bold' evaluation. 

After knowing that the man she loved planned to end her father's officialdom by grabbing onto his bribery proof just to get rid of Wan Ting, she finally toughens her heart to give up on him. It does not matter if her father was just one of those 'corrupted' officials that Long Shan wanted to pull into the muddy waters for his bigger plans. 

She would cut off ties cleanly from her heart with people that disappointed her. But that also helped her to move on faster and get out from the delusion that would hurt her even deeper the more she wallowed longer in it. 

Wan Ting left after breakfast and Duke Heng sent her to the door. She sighed in relief when she was safely inside the carriage and moving away from Duke Heng's residence. While she was thankful for Duke Heng's help, she was uncomfortable being beside him, an older man that had seen her weak moments.

Yet he never disdained her for it.

Wan Ting shook her head as she gazed out of the window of the carriage. "No, I will not meet him again." 

In the future, he could speak to Mister Wan if there was anything to be discussed. And Wan Ting should maintain a proper distance from other gentlemen that an unmarried lady should behave.

She never used to care about it before as she kept on pestering Long Shan no matter what others would view of her. She knew she was scorned for being so forward with her feelings that were against the norm and she had never been bothered about it.

If she did not speak out about her feelings, how would the other party know of her feelings?

But the rule she had originally scorned now held appeal for her to have a reason to maintain a distance from the intimidating Duke Heng.

Working till late night, Duke Heng only remembered about his prisoner after he finished his work. He stepped into the dark prison cell and the fire was specially lit for his visit. Lu Bian slightly raised her head, looking worn out but her previously fragile side evoked by Miss Wan was gone.

"Unfortunately for you, Miss Wan does not wish to see you."

Lu Bian's expression does not change after hearing that, as if she had expected that. She finally spoke after a long period of silence. "I will not speak of her." 

Clearly, Lu Bian intended to protect Wan Ting from being retaliated by her master.

Duke Heng did not question the truthfulness of her words, because he could see this was the last act of friendship from Lu Bian before both ladies will be strangers after this. Even if she did speak of Miss Wan to the Second Prince, he will offer a hand to get her out of harm's way.

Closing his folding fan, Duke Heng said, "I will improve the service during your brief stay here."

Although he would not kill Lu Bian, he will get all the benefits he could get from her before releasing her.

*coughs*

There is already maximum of 20 early access chapters available to read in my patreon page! Check it out if you are interested!