5. A Letter (Sophie)

I crept the door open and walked inside Havenfield. Today had been a long day. I climbed upstairs and changed. Edaline was humming in the kitchen, making Butterblasts, another family recipe. "Hey!" I said. "Hi Jolie." she said. "Who's Jolie?" I asked her. "Sorry. She is my late daughter." she said, starting to cry. "She looked a sounded a lot like you. I just forgot for a second." 

"Edaline.. you have no reason to be sorry. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked." I said. "No, it's fine. She'd have liked for her sister to know her." she said, still sniffling. "Anyways, me and Grady have a surprise for you." 

"Aww.. that's really sweet of you." I said. "It's over there, in that basket on the table." said Grady. I opened the basket to find the most adorable looking puppy. "Do you like it?" asked Edaline. "Like it? I love it! Thanks mom and dad!" I said, hugging them. "I'm going to name him, Iggy." 

I went upstairs to my room with Iggy following me. 

It was the next day. After another exhausting day at school, I came home and sat down on the couch to play with Iggy. Grady and Edaline were both out, shopping. There was a knock on the door. I opened it to find the mailman. "Delivery for Grady and Edaline Ruewen from Black Swan Adoption Agency." he said. "Thanks." I said, taking it from him. It was a letter. 

I put it on the table and continued playing with Iggy. He jumped on the table and took the letter in his mouth. I tried to snatch it from his mouth but a bit of the envelope tore. It read, "Adoption Cancellation for Sophie Foster". I thought we were going well. I hugged Iggy and started crying. 

The front door opened and Grady and Edaline came in. "What's wrong Sophie?" asked Grady. "A letter came from Black Swan Adoption Agency. Iggy tried to chew it and I didn't mean to see, but I did." I said, my voice shaking. "Sophie, please, we can explain." said Edaline, almost crying. "I don't want to hear it. I hate you guys!" I said and ran to my room and locked it. 

I lay down on my bed, crying. Around dinner time, I heard Edaline's soft and feeble voice. "I know you don't want to see us but if you feel hungry, come down. I have put your food in the microwave." I heard a sob. "Ok." I said. "I'm sorry Sophie." she said and left. 

After an hour or more, I crept downstairs and had my dinner. And climbed into my bed and fell into a dreamless sleep.