☆cancer☆

MIKE’S POV:

I took a heavy breath, and listened to the sound of the heart monitor beep. Beep beep beep… 

I heard the sound of heals further down the hallway coming closer to my room. A nurse walked in and handed me a tray with what I assumed my lunch was. The days just keep repeating, and I’ve just lost track of time at this point. The nurse quickly walked out of the room without saying a word. She didn’t even give me a chance to say thank you. My parents can’t come to visit me today, because my father has an important business meeting, and my mom has to take Holly to get a checkup. They told me to call them if I needed them, but chances are that they probably wouldn’t pick up the phone anyway.

I was a bit relieved that they weren’t here today anyway. They were always hovering over me and acting like nothing was wrong. Every time they would go outside the room, I could hear my mother sobbing. I’m glad to have parents that love me, but every time they’re around me, I can’t help but feel like this is all my fault. And that I’m going to go soon. My mom doesn’t let the doctors and nurses tell me anything about how I’m doing, so I don’t freak out. Honestly, that makes it worse, because it must be bad if my mom doesn’t want me to know. I know here intentions are good, but it just makes me more nervous.

I looked over at the calendar on the wall. I might as well start counting down the days to go. I know I don’t have much time left. I hate how everyone acts like I’m going to live forever, and that I’m not sick with cancer. All my hair has fallen out and I cry every time I look in the mirror. Maybe it was better if I go… I can’t stand living like this anymore. Nothing changes. I rest my eyes and fall asleep. There is too much going on in my head.

                             ☆☆☆

“Michael, you have a visitor.” A nurse whispers. My eyes flutter open to see Will and his mom standing before me. My face immediately turned red. I didn’t want Will to see me like this- Will put his hand over his mouth, and buried his head in Mrs. Byers’ arms. I heard him crying. His small sobs brought tears to my eyes. Joyce ran her figures through Will’s hair. I heard Will take a shaky breath, and he turned around to face me. He ran over to me, and hugged me. Mrs. Byers placed a card on the small table near me. I noticed that Will had made it. 

“Thank you both for coming. And thank you for the card.” Will let go of me, and gave me a weak smile. They both had tears streaming down their faces. Joyce left the room. Will started sobbing. 

“I’m so sorry, I’m sorry,” he kept apologizing over and over again.

“Don’t apologize, Will, please. There’s nothing to be sorry about, none of this is your fault… I… I-I hate to see you cry-y.” I burst into tears. I would give anything to make him happy right now. His pretty face doesn’t deserve to be covered in tears. I grab his hand, and hold it. We sit in silence. The only sound to accompany us was the heart monitor. We both cry for what seems like hours. 

“Turn around,” I tell Will. 

“W-why?” He asks me.

“I’m awful just to see. All my hair is gone, and my lips are chapped and faded. I look… I look so ugly.” I cry. 

Will cries even harder. “Mike, please don’t say that about yourself, it hurts me when you say that. You’re beautiful. I love you.” He leans in to kiss me, but I turn my head in the opposite direct. 

“I can’t kiss you. God, that’s the worst part of this living hell. Leaving you. I don’t want to leave you. I promise I won’t leave you. I promise.” My voice grows weaker as I speak. I knew I couldn’t promise what I had said, but I would try my best to. Will was holding back his tears. He held my hand tighter. 

“I don’t want you to leave me.” He whispers.

“I don’t want to leave you.” I reply back to him. I smile only for tears to roll down my cheek.  “Will, believe me, I didn’t want this. I’m going to go away eventually.”

“No… no you can’t. You aren’t going to go- that’s not possible. This isn't happening-" Will was loosing it. He was trying to convince himself that I was fine, and that this was some sort of nightmare. 

“I love you so much, and when I go, I want you to promise me that you’ll be true… It doesn’t matter though, I’m already dead. This is just the last real feeling I’m going to experience. I’m just going to be a corpse in this bed.” 

“I promise… but I don’t understand what you’re saying. Please don’t leave me. There will be nothing left for me if you go.” Will stuttered. 

“Will I don’t want to leave you, I don’t want to.” I keep crying. “I don’t want to fucking leave you!” I scream. I hold Will in my arms. They start to feel limp, and the heart monitor starts to get slower. Will’s eyes widen when he realizes what is happening. He kisses me, and whispers “Goodbye Mike.” My eyes start to close, and I hear an alarm go off. Figures dash into the room, and push Will off of me. I scream, but they ignore me. I hear Will crying and watching the doctors trying to save me. The heart monitor becomes even slower than before. This is it. 

Amongst all the yelling between the doctors and Will’s crying, I use my last bit of energy to say, “Goodbye Will.” The heart monitor stops. 

                           ☆☆☆

WILL’S POV:

I scream at the top of my lungs, and push all the doctors out of the way. He’s gone… HE’S FUCKING GONE- I hold Mike’s lifeless hand in mine. It’s stone cold. His eyes were closed tight, and his freckles were faded. I hold him, and Mike’s parents come crashing through the doors, sobbing. Mrs. Wheeler shrieks and runs over to Mike’s body. I let go of Mike’s hand and leave the room to find my mom crying right outside the doors. I hug her tight, and just sob. Mike was gone from this world. The only person I had ever loved my whole life was gone from me. It was out of my control. I could feel my head starting to spin the more I thought about it. My mom went inside the room to comfort Mike’s family. I went with her, but I could bring myself to look at Mike. Holly’s face streamed with tears. Mr. and Mrs. Wheeler held each other, and my mom held Holly in her arms. The doctors stand around Mike’s body, examining it. I just stood there in pain. I ran out of the room, and down the hallway, wiping tears off my face. There’s nothing left for me anymore. 

Author’s Note: Hi! This oneshot was based off of the song “Cancer,” By My Chemical Romance (My personal favorite band!). Here is the link if you are not familiar with the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3lYFRiDTkA

Picture Link: https://pin.it/4iX0lZe