(5) Guilty

Comment and vote!

[Third POV]

The unexpected turn of events left everyone stunned. It's interesting that a normal conversation has the potential to end up with one person getting a broken nose and another in full blown anger.

Everyone watched Valentina storm off and no one had the guts to stop her. Elijah's hand even reached out unconsciously but then he stopped himself.

A very upset Matteo grabbed Xander's upper arm roughly and turned him to make Xander look into his eyes. "What the hell is wrong with you Xander? She's just arrived after suffering a loss!"

Xander looked like he couldn't give a damn about that. He just stared at his fingers covered in his blood due to his broken nose. He was still angry, but wasn't going to take it out on his younger brother, so he refused to react.

"Matteo", Vincenzo called, in a very calm, but firm manner. "We've seen enough for today. Why don't you go to your room and get some sleep?"

Matteo exhales sharply, but obeys. "Yes Dad", After sending a glare towards Xander he walks away to his room.

Enzo takes a step towards the stairs, but stops when Vincenzo calls him out knowing what he's planning to do. "Not tonight, Enzo. Leave her be."

"But Dad—", Enzo faces his father with worry.

"I'll check on her. Don't worry", Vincenzo assured his son.

Enzo relaxes with a small smile satisfied with the reply. Then after sparing a concerned glance Xander's way he leaves too.

Nobody noticed, but Elijah's eyes were fixed on Alessandro until the latter discreetly nodded. A wordless communication passed between the two brothers.

"Xander come on. Let's have a talk in my room", Alessandro sighed deeply.

Xander's eyes shut close tightly. knowing he'll probably be lectured. "Not in the mood, Ales."

"Exactly why we need to talk", Alessandro spoke with finality.

Xander really didn't want to, but  since he's never disobeyed Alessandro before he gave in. He nodded once, not meeting anyone especially his father's eye before moving towards the stairs. Almost like an invisible pull, Xavier followed him.

"Xavier not today", Alessandro spoke softly.

Xander paused next at the step he was about to climb and his shoulders sagged before he continued heading for Ales's room. Xavier looked at his eldest brother with worry.

"Ales just wants to talk to him, Xav. Calm down", Elijah whispered gently sensing the boy's concern for him twin.

Xavier nodded defeatedly before leaving as well.

"Elijah, first aid?", Alessandro spoke.

"You go ahead. I'll get it", Elijah nods, before disappearing in another direction leaving just Alessandro and Vincenzo in the living room.

They both exhaled deeply turning towards each other.

"Am I only one who saw it coming ?", Vincenzo questioned.

"I expected Xander to react that way, but Valentina handled it the way a Costello would", Alessandro replied, a hint of a smirk on his face.

Vincenzo sighed heavily, his fingers passaging his forehead. "It's not amusing to me Ales. Two of my kids are fighting right in front of my eyes. Not the best feeling for a father."

"They'll get over it", Alessandro spoke confidently.

"Will they? It's Melanie they're arguing about", Vincenzo frowned. "Both Xander and Valentina have a very distinct image of their mother in their mind. Neither one can be blamed."