[25]

"What the hell are we going to do?" I whisper yelled at Stiles as we paced up and down the school hallways. He was in his Lacrosse uniform and supposed to be outside on the pitch in five minutes, acting like everything is normal when it's all terribly falling apart.

"This is bad, so, so bad" His hand ran through his hair. "We're screwed"

He was right. Today had been a total and utter train wreck.

Erica and Boyd had fled to another town, Isaac presumably gone with them. Derek was in hiding because Allison and Mr Argent were hunting him because they believed he bit Mrs Argent on purpose, when it was really just self defense - but she wasn't taking any of my phone calls. And finally, Gerard was now the controller of the Kanima, and hell bent on killing everyone until he can have Derek for himself. Of course, Scott wouldn't give up his hiding place. Perfect.

"So what are we supposed to do exactly? Just allow him to threaten our family members and kill members of the public? Surely there has to be a better way" I turned to him, shaking my head.

"No" He walked into the boys locker room, where the rest of the team and Scott was. "Scott says we just need to play like normal, he'll figure something out" I nodded at him and followed him inside, Coach speaking to the team.

Standing to Melissa, I leaned into her. "Are you alright?"

"Yes honey, thank you" She gave me a squeeze and we turned back to Coach as the boys pulled on their padding and uniforms.

"Mankind..that word should have a new meaning for all of us today" He spoke into a small megaphone and I pulled my eyebrows together, leaning into my friends.

"What the hell is he talking about?"

"We're fighting for our right to live!" Cheers erupted from around us and jigsaw pieces clicked in my head, realizing why this sounded so familiar.

"Is this the speech from Independence Day?" Stiles nodded at me and I scoffed, honestly nothing Coach said anymore surprised me. "Nice"

"..But as the day the world declared in one voice..we will not go quietly into the night!!" His fist raised triumphantly at his words.

He leaned into me. "It's Coach's favourite movie"

My lips pulled into a fine line and I nodded. "That makes sense"

"Today...we celebrate our Independence Day!!" I shook my fist in the air, joining in on the screaming and shouting around me. Melissa chuckled next to me, an anxious hand wiping her brow.

I stiffened next to Stiles as Gerard appeared from behind Coach, patting him on the shoulder. "I might have chosen something with a little more historical value, but there's no denying your passion. And while I haven't been here long, there's no denying my pride in having a winning team for this school" My eyes landed on Scott, who was intently watching him as he spoke. "I know you'll all be brilliant tonight, even with only one co-captain leading you"

Stiles leaned into my ear and whispered lowly. "He's benching Scott?" I looked up at him and shrugged my shoulders, panic strewn across my face. If he benched Scott, there would be nobody out there but Stiles on the field to stop Jackson from hurting people.