8: Waiting Game༄

Jin drove for what seemed like days. The sun had set long ago, and the moon had drifted into the sky high above them. Jimin, Hoseok, and Taehyung had all fallen asleep hours ago, their lively energies disappearing with their voices. In the front row, Jin and Namjoon had fallen into a quiet conversation, their voices too light to travel to the far reaches of the car.

       Eden was battling sleep herself. Between the dull throbbing in her head and the anxiety of not knowing where she was, it was hard to stay asleep. But every few minutes, when the car drove smoothly and Taehyung didn't snore too loudly, she was able to clutch sleep in her hands for just a moment.

      "Hey, how are you feeling?"

      The charcoal haired man next to her nudged her gently, the whites of his eyes shining in the dull lighting of the car. Ever since she announced, reluctantly, that she was beginning to have a migraine, his checkups were getting more and more frequent.

      She supposed she understood though. At the moment, she was their only gateway to Yoongi, the only reassurance that he was safe. This migraine could mean anything, but as long as she was breathing so was he.

      "The headache isn't too bad," she muttered. "I'm just tired."

      "We'll be there really soon. I promise."

      "I feel like you said that hours ago."

      "Alright," Namjoon's voice boomed from the front passenger seat. "We're here."

       Jungkook's smile was smug. "You gotta trust me sometimes."

       One by one the sleeping heads in the car started to perk up. The car finally rolled to a stop and Jin put it in park, unbuckling his seatbelt and stretching his hands high above his head.

      "Nine hours," he groaned. "With no breaks."

      "Gotta hand it to you Jin," Jungkook called. "I didn't think you'd be able to do it."

      The men started piling out of the vehicle. If anyone could see them, it would look like a clown car, with more and more people coming out every possible door. Hoseok pulled down the seat to let Eden, Jungkook and Taehyung out, reaching out his hand to help.

     "Let me help," he mumbled, easing his weight into hers so she could jump down without hurting herself.

      The air outside was cool in comparison to the stuffy interior of the car. Jin kept the windows up, for obvious reasons of course, but after a while it felt like Eden was only breathing in everyone else's carbon dioxide. The fresh air was good for her lungs.

     She took the time to stretch while they pulled things out of the car, cracking every bone possible until she felt her joints had loosened up. She shook out her legs and squinted in the distance, trying to see the surroundings.

      It was far too dark to tell, but from what Eden could see, there was nothing but trees for miles. They were completely away from any other houses, and from what she remembered of the last of the car ride, they were definitely away from main roads. It would be impossible for anyone to find this place.

      With an anxious gulp, Eden realized that was the point.

      No one can get in, no one can get out.

     A hand reached over and tapped her gently, making her jump nearly out of her skin. Dark eyes peered back at her, and she relaxed once she recognized them.

     "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," Hoseok said sheepishly. "You should come inside now, it's cold out here."

     Eden nodded wordlessly, allowing him to put his arm around her shoulder and lead her toward the entrance of the house.