Chapter Eighteen; Car Ride Home

Lloyd got off shift later that night. Morro asked if he wanted to stay and close with him. He did.

He had gotten to walking home. Morro caught up with him quickly after in a small car. It looked pretty rusty and worn.

"Do you need a ride?" Morro called out, rolling his window down.

"Uh...Okay...?" Lloyd accepted. Morro stopped for Lloyd to get in.

Lloyd got in the passenger's side. 

"Which way?" Morro asked Lloyd.

"Uh, uhhh. Oh, go around the block and then straight down three streets and I am across the road." his memory was fairly good, but he was better at memorizing details like such.

Morro glanced over. "You really walked that far."

"I don't have a vehicle! No money for a ride! I'm broke! It isn't that bad." 

"Touche. Not for long." 

"I won't make money that fast." Lloyd sighed. "It'll take me a few months to get even one-hundred dollars!"

"Money isn't like an allowance in the real world. You are going to earn a lot more than you do doing chores."

"Oh yeah?" 

"Uh huh. You can get raises, too."

Lloyd looked over at Morro quickly, his interest spiking. "How do I get a raise?"

"You're quick." Morro grinned. "I give you one." 

"When?"

"When I feel like you deserve one."

"What do I have to do?" Lloyd asked eagerly. His shy, soft spoken character had disappeared, as if he forgot it at work. He was filled with this eager energy. 

It interested Morro. It was...Different. He smirked softly. Couldn't he use that?

"Well...Usually it takes a long time." Morro started. 

"Okay...I'll work nonstop!"

"Why do you want money so badly?" Morro questioned. 

"I want to experience life outside of orphanage walls." Lloyd said seriously.

"Fair enough. I can give that to you."

"What do I have to do?" Lloyd asked again.

Morro was looking ahead at the road. He got this look in his eyes before he spoke back to Lloyd. "Do whatever I say."

"Don't I already have to do that?...Since...You're my boss?..."

"Yes. But I mean...More than that. Like you are my servant."

Lloyd gulped. He was going to be his old friends' replacement, now?! He didn't sign up for that!

Yet, he still found himself speaking out stupidly. "Okay..." he felt too on-the-spot to say no to him, anyways.

What did I get myself into...?