-spirals

"Who is Serena?" Adelie repeated.

"She's no one." Spencer blurted out, keeping his eyes on the road in front of him.

"There's no way, she's no one if she keeps calling you so often. I know she called you in the hospital before we left."

"I promise, Adelie. She is no one, just a friend."

"Hmm. Of course, just a friend." was all Adelie could think about to herself. She didn't want to start a banter between them, but she couldn't help herself. She kept doubting her values as Spencer's girlfriend. 

There was only an hour left of the road trip, until the couple got to Spencer's hotel in Paris. All Adelie wanted to do was get there and just pass out on the bed. She didn't want to talk to anyone or even acknowledge people were at her presence. 

She knew that Spencer was lying. He wasn't even good at it. You can see the obvious stream of sweat run down the corner of his forehead. You don't have to be a FBI profiler to notice when someone is lying. She always hated being lied to and she knows that her trust issues will just be coming back.  

The rest of the trip was sat in silence. All you could hear was the loud noise of the A/C venting. Not a single word came out of Spencer's or Adelie's mouths. 

Spencer knows damn well that Serena wasn't just no one. He used to care about her. Hell he used to be engaged to her. He was about to get married to her. Going to Paris wasn't just a trip for his mother, but it was also an escape from Serena. 

---

They pulled up at the hotel downtown of Paris and Spencer parked at the entrance. The couple took out their trash to throw away and made their way to the lobby. On Spencer's way, he gave the car keys to the man working valet. 

Spencer called in advance to get a room for him and Adelie, so they wouldn't have to sleep with his mom in the same room. Now that he thinks about it, it turns out he will be sleeping in his mother's room. This is somewhat their first argument, and it feels like it won't be the last on this topic. 

Adelie stood to the right side of Spencer, while he asked for the room key. Before the receptionist could hand the key to Spencer, Adelie snatched it out of her hands, and walked to the elevator. 

"Adelie, WAIT!" Spencer screamed from across the lobby. 

Adelie didn't look back, but she heard his shoes clap with the marble floor as he quickly jogged towards her.

The elevator doors slid open and Adelie made an attempt to slide in before they closed. As she turned around she saw the big metal doors close and Spencer standing in the crevice in between them. She tapped the button to the fourth floor and stood against the railings on the left side of the elevator. 

The mechanical doors opened and she followed the glass number signs, until she found her room. Adelie slid the key card in and waited for the little light blub to glow green. As it did, she walked in and threw herself onto the bed. She didn't even look around the room, but she assumed it looked like Diana's room when she came by to check on Spencer when his mom had an episode. 

A loud noise was heard outside Adelie's hotel room. She scurried her way to the door, looking into the peephole. Needless to say, it was Spencer throwing his bag on the ground and kneeling down against the wall to the corner of Adelie's room. She hated seeing him in pain, but she was mad at him for lying to her. She repeatedly told him she didn't like it when people lied to her. All she wanted to do was run outside and hug him, but she couldn't. Maybe she was just overreacting.

As she still watched from the peephole, she saw Spencer try to knock on her door, but pulled himself every time. It looked like he gave up as he carried his baggage clumsily and made his way to his room. Adelie expected to see him walk out of the peripheral of the peephole, but of course his mother's room was right across from hers. 

Her eyes started to sting as hot tears fell from her eyes as she remembered the time she yelled at him through the closed door of their hotel room. She yelled for him to open because she couldn't stand the tone of Spencer's voice as he declared her to leave. She knew so quickly that she wouldn't leave. She wouldn't leave until she knew he was okay. 

Adelie knows that all Spencer wants to do was comfort her, but she couldn't look at him. She thought maybe at this point in their relationship that maybe a trust bond was created, but this is what you get for falling in love with someone you just met. Maybe it wasn't love, it was just lust. 

She needed to get her mind off of him, so she took a shower. A long, hot shower. Adelie undressed herself and through her grey scrubs into the laundry bag provided by the hotel. She untied her hair from the loose bun and shook her head to even out her hair. It was about time she washed it, it started gleaming in the light from the grease in it. Stepping into the shower, she pulled the leaver to the H and watched as the water pressure got stronger. After the water was adjusted to the right temperature, she pulled her head back letting the water trickle down her spine. 

The warm water felt good against Adelie's skin, but it made her crave Spencer's warmth. His warmth always sent burns and sparks through her veins. It was a shocking feeling that she never wanted to go away. She let the water hit the back of her neck, relieving the tight muscles that have grown from the long car trip. Addie hurriedly scrubbed her hair with shampoo and lathered her body softly with the hotel shower gel, trying not to scrub too hard near her stiches. The conditioner settled into her hair, while she washed the soap of off her body. 

She closed the water and brought the folded white linen towel around her body. She hated using the supplies given by the hotel, but she didn't have anything of her own. Adelie unwrapped the plastic wrapper from the toothbrush and started brushing her teeth. After that, she used the cheap lotion and moisturized her body.

Walking back into the room, she opened Spencer's go bag that she stole from the car and picked out a clean pair of blue stripped boxers and an old Caltech sweater. The smell of his clothes burned through Adelie's nostrils, the intoxicating smell of coffee and old books.  She took the duffel bag off of the bed and moved her body into the covers. She moved the extra pillows to the side of her body to keep the warmth in. 

Adelie turned on the lamp on the nightstand, hoping it would make it easier for her to fall asleep. Sleeping in the dark reminded her of Gabriel Laurent kidnapping her. The lids on her eyes closed and she fell into a deep sleep.

---

As Spencer unlocked the door to his hotel, he dropped his backpack onto the ground near the bathroom. His back hurt, his eyes stung, and his knees ached from the driving. All he wanted was to sleep and wake up thinking his was just in a terrible nightmare. He moved through the hallway and found Diana sleeping on her bed peacefully. Slight guilt started building up in his chest as he felt bad leaving his mom on her own with a random stranger to take care of her. He dug through his suitcase and found his plaid pajama set and walked into the bathroom. 

He pulled every piece of clothing off of him as he made his way to the shower. He turned the water to hot, wanting to feel the burning sensation run through his body. Spence adjusted the shower head, so that the water would hit him as he sat on the bench inside the shower. A slight whimper left his mouth at the cold touch of his body sitting down. It took a while for him to get adjusted to it and seconds later loud sobs were heard. Even though the shower was on, it couldn't mask his cries. The pain in his voice grew more and more louder as he shuffled his head closer to his knees. 

Spencer felt sorry, so sorry for lying to Adelie. He knew how much she hated it, but he wasn't ready to talk to her about Serena. He could never be ready to talk to someone about Serena, after what she did to him. Her calling was just to help herself feel better. Seeing her name on his caller ID made him want to yank his heart out of his chest from all the pain. 

If he wanted to stay with Adelie and make her happy, he had to get rid of his nervousness and talk to her. So that's what he told himself as he got out of the shower and made his way to bed.

He told himself he was going to wake up early and talk to Adelie and tell her the whole truth.