Chapter 20

"Don't you dare call me that

"Don't you dare call me that."

Gabriella jumps at my tone but stays quiet.

"I want to make things right between us." He says.

I shake my head astonished. "After nearly nine fucking years of you abandoning me you want to come back now? What is it that you want from me because you sure as hell don't give a shit about me!" I shout loudly.

"I don't care about you? What about those checks I send every damn month and the goddamn company I gave to you! I am the reason you are successful so if anything you don't give a damn about me! You don't reach out or try to get to know my family, you don't do shit!" He screams back.

"You are the one supposed to reach out, I was sixteen years old when you left. I had to work every single day just to help out mom. Before you remarried the checks you sent barely covered the goddamn rent! And the company was absolute rubbish when you handed it to me. I worked my ass off for everything I have so don't you dare take credit for my success."

"I tried Denver. I tried to stay connected to you but you never let me. You would drink and drink until you could barely stand then end up arrested by the end of the night. You didn't want me around so I stopped trying."

I clench my fists so hard my nails begin to dig into my skin. "You're the reason I started drinking. Everything bad that has ever happened to me was because of you!"

"I couldn't fucking live there anymore Denver, I tried for you and Cara but I couldn't. You mother is delusional and sooner or later she will drive you away too."

I lunge towards him and slam him against a car that is parked along the curb. I punch him with all of my strength. All my anger and resentment towards him is expressed within that one punch.

"Don't talk about mum like that." I state with rage.

"I'm warning you son, that women will run you dry," He slurs while holding his cheek.

"I don't give a shit about the money, I'm not going to leave my mother." I say while grabbing the coat of his suit. "I would give up every last penny before I leave her and Cara like you did."

"I have a relationship with Cara. She lets me in and doesn't push me away like you do. I had to fly all the way here just to get you to acknowledge me!"

"She doesn't push you away because she was four fucking years old when you left. She thinks you guys just got a divorce, she doesn't know that you walked out one day and remarried three months later."