Chapter 22

Denver has been distant

It's the small, miniature things that have changed. He doesn't kiss me before bed or cuddle me into his chest like he normally does. Prior to today, he would hold me so close that I could hardly breathe but now, nothing.

It has only been two days since I first noticed the changes and for the majority of those forty-eight hours I've been trying to figure out what I did wrong. But I can't think of anything. I thought It was because I ignored him at the club but we already settled that.

'He's just tired of you,' a voice inside my head says. I know that I can get a bit annoying after a while so maybe that's it. I pout at the realization. I wish I was normal.

I reach for my anxiety medication and take two tablets. I notice that I only have one more dose left, I'm going to need a refill soon.

After letting the pills calm my body down I decide that giving him some space would be the best solution. My body is aching to go to his office and simply be near him but I can't.

I open up my book and begin to read where I left off. I'm not comprehending the words because I'm too busy overthinking but it is a good minor distraction.

After twenty minutes of this the door opens and Denver handsome face comes into view. I want to run towards him and give him an incredibly big hug but I don't.

Space Gabriella.

He plops down next to me on the bed. "How was work?" I ask.

"Tiring," he starts. "But I was thinking we could go to Times Square and walk around for a bit. I think we could both use the somewhat fresh air."

"Yes!" I exclaim. "B-but only if you want to, it's okay if you need to rest," I quickly add.

He smiles and shakes his head, "I'll be fine now get ready and then we'll go."

I hurry to the closet and put on a pink skirt with a matching tank top. I decide to put a turtle neck underneath since it is still chilly outside. I quickly look in the mirror and whisper "don't be annoying" to myself.

 I quickly look in the mirror and whisper "don't be annoying" to myself