Chapter One

"It's a girl." 

A voice hit Ada's ears from a short distance. She had no clue what was going on, but she kept her eyes firmly shut as her heart began to pick up in speed and as her brain flicked through the possibilities of what could be happening to her.

Her body was firmly pressed into the ground, sprawled quite uncomfortably on what felt like cold steel. She remained as still as she possible could when the floor shook and vibrated at a set of footsteps making contact with it. She tensed up as the footsteps came towards her, and then her eyes flew open out of fear.

She was met by a tall blonde figure looming over her, his features a little blurry, and she figured she must have been asleep for a while. The boy frowned down at her, running a hand through his hair and then rubbing his fingers on his chin thoughtfully. He looked about sixteen, his face sculpted innocently and looking angelic. 

"She's awake." He called, twisting his head to the side and angling it upwards, as if informing someone.

Her eyes wandered to where he was looking, and then realised where she was. She was lying in what seemed to be a steel box situated in a long elevator shaft. There were a number of wooden crates inside with her and the boy, all brandished with the same four letters; WCKD. 

She hadn't yet said a word, and as she continued to stare up at where the box was situated, she noticed a line of boys circling it, all of them staring down at her. The sky was dark - pitch black in fact - telling her that it was the middle of the night. However, she couldn't see the moon in her eyeline.

Why am I in a box in the middle of the night?

Her thoughts were messy and skewed, and she found them also quite unhelpful, as she took a few more quiet moments to herself and realised that she could remember nothing about herself or her life. Her heart immediately sunk and nausea rolled through her stomach and climbed her throat.

"I've got amnesia." She spoke aloud, shifting so she was propping herself up on her elbows.

When she spoke, the laughter previously filling the air from the boys all silenced. The boy stood in front of her suddenly turned quite pale as whispers rose up around her.

She scrambled up from the floor, a feeling of dread beginning to build in her stomach. She took a step towards the boy, who didn't flinch, but for some reason looked quite wary.

Is there something wrong with me?

She glanced down at herself; her skin a soft shade of coffee and her hair in thick brown wisps stretching down her lower back. She was wearing a plain set of clothes; slim black trousers and a burnt orange v-neck shirt.

I look fine to me. Maybe it's my face...

She was jolted out of her spiralling by the boy's reply. "No, you haven't." He talked quietly, almost as if he were suspicious of her, and she then noticed that their voices - although different in pitch - were quite similar.

They shared the same accent.

This wasn't weird to her. Since she hadn't heard anyone else talk, it was her assumption that all of the boys - and only boys - looking down at her had the same accent.

But, they didn't.

"Why's it a girl?" A boy yelled down to the blonde, who spun around quite suddenly, letting out a harsh laugh.

"Y'know Minho, I thought you were a little sharper than that. How the hell am I supposed to know why it's a bloody girl?" 

Minho let out a scoff at the blonde's words, the boy himself not visible to Ada in the dark. She could tell from his voice that he too was about sixteen or seventeen.