Chapter Thirteen

"Hey," Thomas greeted her, his hair flat against his head as it had been wettened by the rain. "What's going on?"

It rained again.

No one was worried like last time. After the fun and games they had the last time it rained, everyone was convinced that the bad luck of the rain in the Glade had run out. But maybe, they should've been worried.

Alby and Minho had gone back in the Glade to retrace the steps Ben had taken, and to see if there was anything different about that particular part of the Maze. Ada's biggest fear was that the Griever that stung Ben would still be there, and that the pair would face the same fate. 

"It's only rained twice before." Ada's mind flashed back to the first time it had rained, with her and Gally dancing on the grass before unfortunately being interrupted by Minho. "I was only here for the last time."

Thomas nodded thoughtfully along to her words, as she explained what they did in the Council room. She refrained from telling him about the first time it rained, knowing that it wasn't her business to tell.

For the moment, the rain wasn't heavy, and so Ada finished collecting fruit and veg from the Gardens and headed back to the kitchen to work. Her work wasn't heavily affected by the weather, seeing as it was mostly inside. However, she used every chance she could get to head outside and waste time in chatting to her friends around the Glade. Frypan was never amused by this.

Lunch went by in a breeze. 

The girl sat herself with Gally and his Builders, and for the first time, they actually interacted with her. She didn't know if Gally had said anything to them - seeing as she told him of his fear of them not liking her - but they seemed genuine in their efforts to make conversation, and they were all getting along well.

Although, when Gally rested his hand on her thigh for barely a second before getting up from his chair, her brain completely short-circuited. She blurted out a hurried goodbye to the Builders and made her way back to the kitchen so she could hide there until she had recovered.

A few hours later, it still hadn't stopped raining. Newt was stubborn in making everyone continue to work, and it was starting to look like Ada's fear of the Griever could actually be possible.

The boys should've been back hours ago. Yet still, as the rain continued pouring down, they hadn't returned.

Ada had to find Gally. In pouring her heart out to him last night, she actually admitted she was worried about people going back to where Ben was and getting Stung too. It felt like she had predicted the future.

The downpour just like last time, had eventually become unbearable to work in. Newt let everyone wait it out in the Homestead, the blonde boy himself hovering by the entrance of the door and watching the Maze walls with a blank expression.

"Hey," She caught his attention, grabbing his arm as she walked over towards him.

He jolted out of his trance, turning back to her with a fake smile, before realising that it was only her and he didn't have to feign a lack of worry. He exhaled, leaning against the doorway and folding his arms across his chest.

"Why aren't they here?" He asked aloud, but the question was partly directed towards her, as if wondering if she knew what to say.

"They'll be okay, Newt. They have to be."

And she tried to reassure him, she really did. But it was hopeless. Newt was a bundle of nerves, and she wasn't helpful in aiding his worry as she was exactly the same.

She squeezed his hand comfortingly, before leaving the boy to his thoughts, and moving across the Homestead to sit on the end of the bench. Spotting Gally, she remembered her irrational fear of being psychic, and suddenly felt shy to admit it all to him.