Chapter Eighteen

Ada gripped a flamed torch tightly in her hand as she jogged over to the Maze entrance. Goosebumps had flared up her arms and the back of her neck, despite the heat from the torch in front of her.

The Maze corridor in front of them was barely visible now. Distantly, they could see ivy hanging across the walls, but the rest of it was just a blur of stone. If there was a Griever coming, they'd only be able to hear it, not see it.

Then a deafening sound occurred, causing everyone's hands to shoot up to protect their ears. Ada merely just winced, her hand still holding the torch, as she whirled around to find the source of it. It sounded suspiciously alike to when the Maze doors opened up in the morning.

And that's because it was that sound.

The three other walls, usually united, were now sliding apart in the middle to become just like the one they were stood in front of. Ada didn't even know they could do that. But one thing was becoming apparent:

The Creators are trying to hurt us.

First, Thomas spoke. As everyone stayed rooted to the spot in shock, he ordered Chuck to go to the Council room and barricade the doors. Then, it was Newt, telling Winston to go with him. Finally, Gally speaking to a group of Gladers, telling them to find the others and go hide in the forest.

There was no time for previous stupid squabbles to get in the way of what they were preparing for. They didn't know how many Grievers were out there, but from the stories Ada heard, one was likely to overpower a large number of them.

Thomas and Teresa went to fetch Alby, and Minho and Newt both headed to gather weapons. Ada found Gally's eyes across the group, the fear in them saying more than words could. Just as she was about to suggest hiding with the others, a commotion caught their attention.

A group of boys were running out of the forest at top speed, Ada managing to catch the shouts of 'Griever!' from a number of them. It was then that she clutched Gally's hand, and began to tug him in the direction of the Homestead. Behind her, she could hear the shriek of a Griever from the original Maze entrance.

And that's when they ran.

The Grievers could move at a speed unimaginable to Ada, the sound of them not growing any more distant the further they travelled. Although Ada was intent on heading to the Homestead, Gally had other ideas.

She decided to just go with him, barely registering her own movements as she was pulled towards the Box by the strong Builder. A number of boys ran with them, Gally letting go of her to open up the doors, which she stopped to help him with as one of the others took the torch from her hand.

They waited as the boys filed down inside, only five in total, before hopping down into the metal cage themselves. Ada felt her knees buckle as the Box swayed under their weight, but stabilised her footing quickly to bring down the Box doors and shut them in.

She took back the torch, firmly placing it on the ground and stamping her foot on the end to plunge them into darkness. Too much light would surely attract the attention of the Grievers. Gally went to scold her, the risk of her burning her foot - even through her shoe - was far too great for his liking, but she had already put out the flame before he could say a word.

"Shhh!"

She lightly kicked the still-hot torch into a corner and crouched herself on the ground. Shuffling into a spot against one of the walls, she hugged her knees to her chest, and kept herself impossibly still. The others in the Box obeyed her wishes for silence, copying her actions almost completely as they too settled on the floor.