Chapter Twenty Six

Ada woke in a whirl of panic. For the first time in a long while, she had a nightmare.

They were always either about the Grievers, Gally and Chuck dying, or the Cranks. This time, it was about Newt turning into a Crank.

Slipping out of bed, Ada was careful to try and not wake Brenda, who was sleeping soundly beside her. It was pretty easy not to, the girl seemed to sleep through absolutely anything.

Leaving the room, Ada decided she'd go for a quick walk and then return to bed. That's what always seemed to help with the nightmares. She was certain this one would be a little harder to forget about, considering it was very likely to come true, but she was also sure that a short wander would clear her mind.

Thomas was firm about getting a cure for Newt, but in the current moment, it didn't seem possible. If WCKD were anywhere close to finding a cure for the Flare, they'd be waving it around in celebration and triumph. 

Instead, as Newt told Ada when he returned with Gally and Thomas from snooping, WCKD was gloomy. Teresa looked troubled and it didn't look like there was hope for anyone. Not even for themselves, like Ada knew Janson and Ava Paige really wanted.

Ada could vaguely remember the way down to the room they had met Lawrence in the day before. What she could remember most about the room, however, was the roses.

Lawrence had been tending to a beautiful rose bush, the flowers growing from it a vivid pink. Despite the man's fascination with the flowers, he didn't seem to tend to them as much as he should, since a few of them were wilting.

Ada was confirmed of this fact when she reached the rose bush. It was still beautiful whilst silhouetted in the dark, only visible because of the shards of moonlight cutting through the windows and spotlighting parts of the rich greenery. 

The girl found herself mesmerised then, wondering if she would've become a Gardener in the Glade had they had the same flowers back there. All they had were a few wild daisies, straggling to grow in the restricted sunlight, mostly crushed by the many footsteps imprinted on them throughout the days.

And then she found herself jolting from this thought, thinking she could hear a set of footsteps outside the room and growing closer. As she froze, she couldn't help but find herself to be reminded of the game hide and seek.

Back in the Glade, they played hide and seek constantly.

Ada was always the worst at hiding, and she knew it too. She always used the excuse of being the newest to the Glade, therefore she didn't know the best spots, but no one listened. 

Especially as everyone knew she was the worst because she always managed to make an abnormally large amount of noise when she was hiding. Whether it was something she had knocked over, or there was dust in the air causing her to sneeze, she always managed to get herself caught first.

She was determined that this time was going to be different.

The usual group playing consisted of herself, Gally, Frypan and Newt. This time, the people playing extended to Chuck and Winston also.

Gally was seeking, meaning that Ada had a specific motivation to not be caught first. She wanted to be able to smirk at the boy in triumph, and see the adorable look of sulkiness on his own face.

She was adamant that she had the best spot. She was crouched in a tiny spot in the Med-jack's room, where two cupboards had been shoved against the wall with a small space between them that someone small could crawl into.

Clint and Jeff were watching her in amusement every so often, bandaging up a Slicer with a bad wound to his hand. She trusted the pair to keep her location quiet, especially as they would want to see Gally get moody at her exceeding his expectations.