Chapter Fifteen

"A girl?"

"Another girl." Ada muttered excitedly to herself, suddenly eager to catch sight of the Greenie.

"I think she's dead." 

Newt's words made her heart drop, and she found herself ever so gently pushing through the just as intrigued crowds to peek in at the girl lying on the floor of the Box. She didn't know what to expect.

The girl had long dark hair fanned out on the ground, fair freckled skin, and a slim figure. She was a beautiful girl. But Newt seemed right; she looked dead.

"What's in her hand?" Gally called down to the boy, Ada just realising that he was right beside her.

Speaking of hands, it was then - when everyone was distracted - that Gally's hand brushed against the back of hers. She whirled around to look at him with wide eyes, and as he suddenly felt the attention of her gaze, his cheeks flared up red.

Her heart melted then, and as Gally tried to distract from his embarrassment by looking away from her to the Box, she reached down to squeeze his hand. Taking it away as quickly as it appeared, she watched as Newt unfolded the piece of paper previously in the girl's hand.

"She's the last one, ever."

An ominous silence over the group as they processed Newt's words, uncertain as to what it meant for the future of the Glade. The blonde looked confused, folding back up the paper and inspecting the girl.

"What the hell does that mean?"

"No more Greenies." Ada answered bluntly. 

She wanted to know why it was only her and the other girl in a group of boys. She didn't know that she was there as an experiment: only to see how the boys would react to the arrival of a girl. And she didn't know that the other girl was there to signal the ending of the Maze Trials.

Suddenly, the girl surged awake, eliciting a response of fear from the boys all anxiously peering down into the Box. They watched on as she gasped for breath, eyes wide and searching, before uttering a single word.

"Thomas."

As the girl fell back into unconsciousness, every pair of eyes had turned to Thomas. Ada could tell that the boy had no idea as to what was going on, and his gaze purposely dodged Gally's as he sheepishly looked down to the ground.

"You still think I'm overreacting?" Gally questioned smugly, and Ada felt herself automatically shifting away from the boy.

Minho and Thomas went back into the Maze again that day. With them, they brought Frypan, Zart and Winston. To say Gally was seething would be an understatement.

Everywhere the boy went, he was avoided like the plague. He wore a scowl all day, and snapped at anyone unlucky enough to speak to him. And in using a hammer on several things he was supposed to be fixing, he ended up breaking them even more.

When the boys returned from the Maze, they gathered in the Council room to show Newt the strange cannister they had found inside a Griever. Ada had crept into the meeting, knowing that the only person who would even bother objecting to a non-Keepers presence would be Gally. But considering it was her, she would be okay, even if they were in a rough spot.

The girl watched as Thomas did most of the talking. He explained the importance of the letters brandished on the cannister: WCKD, just like on their supply boxes. He explained how they needed to go back into the Maze, to see where it could take them.

And of course, Gally was completely against it.

After a long rambling from the angered boy, he only seemed satisfied when Newt agreed to punish Thomas. But then, he didn't seem satisfied with the punishment.