Chapter Fourteen

The Gladers gathered back at the doors early the next morning. No words had been exchanged in relation to the whole fiasco. Instead there was a silent agreement that they'd wait for the doors to open, to see nothing, and then go on with their lives.

Ada felt fear gnawing away at her chest as she arrived at the doors with Gally in tow. She had to drag him out of bed that morning. He was incredibly grumpy when she did, but she knew it was only due to the worry he shared about the boys trapped in the Maze.

Newt's eyes were rimmed red, making it obvious that he had been crying that morning. The boy was the first out of bed - followed quickly by Ada who thought it was devastating enough of a circumstance that the Runners could all take a day off, because of what was inevitably going to happen.

The fated moment came then.

Ada almost didn't want it to happen. If the boys hadn't made it, it would soon be made clear by when the Runners returned to their jobs and found the remains of clothes or bones like all the boys who had died in the Maze before. But then again, if they had made it, they would need to get out of there as soon as possible.

The walls made the same noise of unlocking metal, before beginning to slide apart from one another. The slow moving motion of the stone was excruciating, but the pain only increased when they had opened completely to reveal absolutely nothing.

A moment of silence was shared, before the Gladers - one by one - began to walk away from the entrance to the Maze. Just like that, they had decided they were moving on. 

Moving on from two boys they had known for the entirety of their time in the Glade. Moving on from the leader and the Keeper of the Runners. And, moving on from the Greenie who was stupid enough to run into the closing Maze. 

Although, Ada imagined the boys would find it quite easy to move on from Thomas.

She knew she would find it harder. She regretted not telling Newt about Thomas' visions now. There would be no point to tell him when Thomas was dead, and so she knew she would feel sick with the weight of the thought that Thomas' visions could've brought hope to the Glade, but she didn't say anything. She'd never lose that guilt now.

Even the blonde boy had turned away from the Maze now, leaving only Ada and Chuck still waiting by the doors. Just as the girl had let out a defeated sigh and looked away to the Glade, a yell of surprise brought her attention back to where it was before.

"Look! There!"

She had never turned back quicker than she had in that moment. Chuck's finger was pointing down the corridor of the Maze, leading to where Alby was being supported in between Minho and Thomas; all of whom looked like they were about to drop dead.

But they were alive.

"Newt!" 

Ada screeched across the Glade for the blonde, as the other Gladers had already been summoned by Chuck's excited shouts. His head appeared from the Homestead, and as soon as he caught sight of the three boys moving across the threshold into the Glade, his limp was forgotten about.

He made it over there in mere seconds, waiting for Alby to be dropped from Minho's arms and taken by Clint and Jeff for the general procedure of a Sting, before enveloping the Runner in a hug. The love shared between the two boys made Ada's heart want to explode in joy.

The girl took her turn in hugging Minho, and then went to Thomas to hug him too. She had to admit that she was completely awe struck to see Thomas had made it. He had barely been in the Glade; now he was one of three in the history of the place to survive a night in the Maze.