Chapter Twenty Four

Although she slapped him - which would convey some sort of anger that she clearly had - Ada couldn't deny that she was a little jealous that Thomas and Newt were taken with Gally to go check out their way into WCKD. She wanted to talk to him; to find out how he got there, what happened after the Maze, and how he found them.

But now all she could think was that he definitely didn't want to talk to her.

Ada was sat in what looked like a strategy room, alongside Brenda, Frypan and Jorge. Two guards were stood outside the door, giving them their space, but also holding them as compensation to ensure Newt and Thomas would come back without harming Gally.

For a moment, it was complete silence. Ada was swinging her feet back and forth, being careful to not scuff them along the floor and cause an awful noise to rip through the awkwardly quiet room.

"There was a lot-" 

Brenda cut herself off when her words caught the attention of both Frypan and Jorge, only intending to speak to Ada. She smiled at them both, earning suspicious looks, but Jorge seemed to catch on to the secrecy Brenda wanted. He involved Frypan in a mindless conversation, the younger boy watching both girls warily before turning away.

"There was a lot of tension going on with you and that guy back there. Gally, isn't it?"

Ada felt herself wince at that, not really wanting to be reminded of how much she liked Gally back in the Glade. Because it was different now. Six months had passed. Could it ever be the same after such a long time?

"Explain."

But Brenda's words were firm and she figured that she didn't have a choice to opt out. She had no idea how Brenda could figure out that something was going between them, thinking her glances to the boy were subtle.

They absolutely weren't.

"Back in the Maze, we were close." She paused, sighing heavily, before deciding to just come right out with it. "I kinda liked him."

Brenda sat back in satisfaction, her arms folding across her chest knowingly. Or, so she thought.

"So what, you guys dated then? He clearly still likes you."

Ada's eyebrows shot up and she laughed nervously then. Her stomach knotted in a way she hadn't felt since back in the Glade. Brenda had gotten it all wrong, she was sure of it.

"No, no, he doesn't like me." She told the girl.

She watched as Brenda tilted her head to one side, watching her questioningly. When Ada only gave her a blank stare, she burst into laughter, earning the attention of Frypan and Jorge again.

Ada could only burn up in embarrassment as Brenda continued to laugh. When the girl realised that the two men could see she was laughing, she cleared her throat, trying her best to stifle it. And then she threw her hands up in defeat.

"Oh come on!" 

She looked between Ada and Frypan, still giggling slightly. The girl was glaring at her, whereas Frypan was fixing her with a curious glance.

"You know that guy Gally likes her, right?"

"Brenda!"

Ada smacked the girl on the arm at her question to Fry, who merely just watched her in amusement. He sat back in his chair, folding his hands behind his head with the same knowing smile as Brenda.

"Well yeah, it's pretty obvious."

That was when Ada did a double-take. Frypan was one of Gally's closest friends in the Glade. If anyone knew about him liking someone, it would be him. But the self deprecating part of the girl could only wonder: