Chapter Nine

To say that Gally and Ada were close now, would be a complete understatement. They were inseparable.

Ada was careful in sorting out her workload in a way that gave her time to spend time with Gally, and also gave her time watch him as he worked. Because she had come to realise: he was very attractive.

She was certain that she was very subtle in thinking this. However, Frypan easily caught the glances she would give him at breakfast and dinner, the way her cheeks would flare up at the mention of him, and the flirtatious comments they sent back and forth. 

He hadn't said anything to her about it, knowing that she'd be quick to deny it, but he had talked to Gally. And he then realised it was probably worse to ask Gally.

Upon the question of his feelings towards the girl, Gally immediately froze up. His cheeks instantly flared up red, and he began busying himself around the kitchen to try and distract Frypan from his embarrassment. It took a few moments for him to furiously deny his crush on the girl. Surprisingly, he didn't get angry.

There had been a number of times where he had gotten angry.

Ada found herself being dragged into his messes, being the one to bail him out of many drunken arguments or silly Builders squabbles. She didn't particularly mind; there was something relaxing about calming him down, especially when she saw the soft smile that made its way onto his face after she spoke gently to him.

She had grown to notice that he acted differently around her than he did to the others.

When they were together, Gally was always much more open, and talkative, and sweet. However when he was with the other boys in the Glade, he had built some sort of wall up, blocking them out from the real him. He was always only tough, intimidating and quite often closed off.

He did joke and chat with them at bonfire and other gatherings, but it was different. It would be about surface level things, the chatter only light-hearted and his laughter only quiet and sometimes quite forced. 

Not to mention what he was like during Gatherings. His cold exterior even extended to Ada during these meetings, as if he had a duty to block everyone out and argue against things just for the sake of it.

It made her a little suspicious - and sad even - but she never brought it up. Although she and Gally talked about a lot of things, she knew that he wouldn't address this behaviour. Hell, he may not even notice it.

It had been a month since Chuck's arrival, and the small boy couldn't be more obvious in his delight of no longer being the newbie. Ada couldn't blame him - some people didn't stop calling her Greenie until after Chuck got there.

"Hey," Gally greeted, as he fell into step with the girl.

She flashed him a smile in return as they wandered towards a spot on the grass. It was an unspoken recurring thing, for the pair of them to sit for a while near the Deadheads and talk.

"You know what I realised?" He asked suddenly, stopping her before they could sit. She whirled around to face him, posing him a questioning glance as a smirk made its way onto his lips.

"It's our one month anniversary." He teased,  referring to the fight they had at the bonfire one month ago.

"Anniversary?"

However, Ada's mind went straight to relationships, and then short-circuited. 

Her face grew hot, flushing red, as her hands fumbled with one another. She looked up at him with wide eyes, wanting to question his word choice further, as he only stared at her in amusement.