Chapter Three

Minho wasn't lying when he said he'd get her that bonfire.

Alby pretty much agreed instantaneously. Ada realised that the boys were all agitated with the fact they didn't have a bonfire last night - as she had arrived late - and so the leader saw no issue with rescheduling one for that very evening.

And so, the girl found herself stood alongside her new friends that night, as they launched flaming sticks onto an unlit bonfire. It caught alight as planned, and now a roaring fire provided both light and heat for the group.

After a few minutes of standing around, lingering awkwardly at Newt's side, Ada had settled onto a log in front of the bonfire. Her hands hovered just above the rising heat, sending rays of warmth through them and to the rest of her freezing body.

Alby soon after, rested beside her, glancing to where she was gazing at the red and orange flickers before looking to it himself. In his hand he held a bottle of some liquid - like the majority of the other Gladers - that he kept sipping on. Ada had no idea what it was but she knew it wasn't water.

"How are you finding the place?" He asked suddenly, making her jump out of surprise someone was speaking to her.

"It's alright." She paused, her finger tracing the air in the shape of the flames before her hands retracted to her lap. "Although," 

This caught Alby's attention.

"I don't think I've found a job suited for me yet." Her somewhat dramatically confessed statement had her chewing her lip anxiously, and shifting her eyes away from her leader as if she was certain he'd begin to yell at her.

"Ada," He let out a laugh, but it seemed to be more with her, rather than at her. "Half the shanks in this place didn't know their own names till day three, let alone what job they wanted to do for the rest of their days."

Ada chuckled softly, and Alby gave her a smile, glad he had reassured her. He couldn't imagine what it would be like for her as the only girl. 

"So don't worry about it." He raised his eyebrows, leading her to realise he wanted some sort of response, so she nodded. 

They sat in silence for a few moments, watching the others around the fire; laughing, eating, dancing even. Then, keen to break the awkward silence she and the leader had fallen into, she asked,

"So what's this drink then?" She gestured to the jar in Alby's hand, and he cracked a grin at her curiosity.

"It's Gally's recipe." 

This perked Ada's interest. She remembered the boy's name from when she arrived, and when he asked Alby about what her arrival would mean about future Greenies. But, she hadn't seen him yet.

"It's a trade secret - he says. My bet is that it's just some sort of moonshine, weakened though." He paused to laugh, and at the girl's furrowed eyebrows, he explained that, "First time round, it wasn't weakened at all. Boy did we have hangovers the next day. Nick went insane."

"Nick?"

Alby's smile faded slightly, and Ada understood what had happened to Nick. Before he could jump in to explain, she cut in.

"It's okay. I'm sorry - about your loss."

She was a smart girl. It didn't take much to realise that Nick was the leader before Alby took over - his anger being a relevant response to the hangovers which would prevent the boys from working to their full potential - and it didn't take much to realise that Nick died and left Alby in charge.

"Which one of these boys is Gally?" She changed the topic, eagerly looking out at the boys to catch a glimpse of him.

"You see on the other side of the fire, that group of Builders?" She followed Alby's finger across the bonfire and to the boys rowdily chatting amongst themselves. "The one with the eyebrows."