Chapter Seventeen

The other thing, was the two syringes. 

Teresa found them both in her pocket. Brandished with the same four letters as their supplies - WCKD - there was no indication as to what they should be used for, but it looked as though they were supposed to aid them medically in someway. 

Thomas and Ada came to the conclusion they should use one on Alby.

Newt looked apprehensive, rolling the unknown syringe between his fingers with a heightened amount of suspicion. Thomas was desperately attempting to persuade him, with the blonde clearly wishing he had Alby as a second opinion to help him out.

But, considering they were suggesting using the syringe on Alby, it would be entirely impossible for that to happen. Alby was writhing on his back, black veins thick and running across his body, his face twisted in pain.

"We don't even know what this stuff is. We don't know who sent it, why it came up here with you. I mean, for all we know, this thing could kill him."

"He's already dying." Thomas argued in return, and Ada looked to their bed-bound leader once again, only becoming more certain that they had to give him the syringe. "How could this possibly make it any worse?"

Ada caught sight of Newt looking at her then, his expression asking her for help. He was conflicted, clearly, and considering he hadn't known Thomas for long, he wanted the encouragement of someone he had known for longer.

"I think we need to find out what those syringes do." She said quietly, to Newt's stare. "They were with Teresa for a reason. They had to be."

That's what made Newt cave.

"Alright. Do it."

Newt handed the syringe back to Thomas, who in an instant had moved around the boy and to Alby's bedside. Clint and Jeff were watching on the side-lines, curious as to what the mysterious syringe would do. Ada wondered briefly why it wasn't one of them administering it.

Thomas hovered over the boy then, faltering slightly, and giving the others watching him the opportunity to creep closer to the bedside. Ada felt Newt close beside her, his figure tense as she'd expect; after all this was one of his best friends they were experimenting on.

"Okay,"

Just as Thomas poised himself to inject Alby, the boy seemed to have woken from his unconsciousness. The whites of his eyes had vanished, leaving an empty black glint in its place, exuding anger. He grabbed the front of Thomas' shirt aggressively, screeching and wrestling with him and beginning to shout,

"You shouldn't be here, you shouldn't be here!"

Newt and Jeff moved to pull Thomas from Alby's grasp, with Ada only being able to watch on fearfully. Eventually, Newt managed to prise Alby's hand from the other boy, and the girl leapt forwards to pin it down to the bed so he was unable to move it. Teresa rushed forwards when his other hand was pinned down, and punctured his chest with the syringe.

Immediately, the boy exhaled and fell still. The others were left with heaving chests and panicked thoughts as they watched their leader fall into unconsciousness, shaken from the events.

"Well, that worked." Jeff muttered, not sounding as pleased as they all initially expected.

"Okay, from now on," Newt's voice cracked as he spoke, but Ada decided that due to the circumstances, she wouldn't comment on it. "Someone stays here and watches him - around the clock."

Gally wandered through the doorway then, oblivious to what had happened. It seemed like an unspoken thing between those who had witnessed it: to just keep it hidden from Gally. The boy already hated Thomas enough, he didn't need more fuel for the fire.