Chapter Four

Ada didn't get a wink of sleep that night. 

For starters, she was still hungry. Newt never let her eat the eggs - the selfish shank ate them himself - and so she couldn't get to sleep with her stomach empty.

And she was also terrified. She had herself convinced that for some bizarre reason - her punishment was going to be a hit with a frying pan. Maybe it was the lack of sleep causing her to think that.

She trudged down to the food hall, her eyes immediately finding where Alby and Newt were hunched at a table, talking in hushed whispers. Her chest tightened and she scanned the room first for anyone else to possibly sit with.

But it was no hope, Minho was already running the Maze.

So she was doomed to go and sit with the leader and the second-in-command, still dreading her punishment. As she slid into the seat opposite the boys, they immediately stopped talking, sharing a glance before looking to her.

"I heard about your little kitchen visit last night Greenie." Alby started, his voice stern. Ada let out a heavy sigh, already feeling the punishment ready to be unloaded on her.

"Listen, Alby-"

"-Shhh." He cut her off, leaving her mouth hanging open.

Did he really just shush me?

"Did you really just shush her?" Newt asked, and Ada realised he looked just as shocked as her. She closed her open jaw, and raised her eyebrows furiously at Alby, hoping that was enough to showcase her anger.

Alby let out a frustrated sigh and turned to Newt, whose eyes were fixed on him, death glaring him. He turned back to Ada, seemingly calm, and gave her a smile.

"We've gotta take you to Frypan."

Her heart dropped to the floor, and as Newt and Alby got up from the table, she stayed put out of fear. She stammered over an excuse, but Newt hauled her to her feet - somehow gently - and in an instant, she had been whirled off to the kitchen.

"Please, is this so bad that you've gotta get a frying pan involved?"

At her question, Alby stopped straight in his tracks. Ada could hear muffled laughter behind her, and turned to see that Newt had his hand over his mouth to stop his stream of giggles. She turned back to Alby, still watching him questioningly.

"You think we're gonna hit you with a frying pan?" He asked, clearly taken aback at the suggestion.

"You're not going to?"

Newt couldn't hold in his laughter at that point. He burst out into hysterics, and Alby joined him swiftly, both laughing until they were crying.

Ada felt herself growing frustrated from their laughter, but couldn't deny that she felt a little relieved. However, that relief soon turned to frustration at their lack of explanation.

"Can you please just explain what's going on?"

"I'd like to know the same thing." An unknown voice came from the entrance.

A boy; about sixteen, with dark skin, buzzcut hair, kind eyes, and a friendly smile was stood with his hands on his hips and watching them all in amusement. He moved past the three, and as he did, the apron he wore around his waist came into view.

"Why are y'all up in my kitchen?"

"Ada," Alby straightened up again, moving to the unknown boy and clapping a hand on his shoulder. "This is Frypan."

Frypan's a person. Obviously.

The leader turned to Frypan, amusement still prevalent in his eyes, and Ada felt the embarrassment swelling in herself as she knew exactly what was about to happen.