Introduction

There's really no way to start with my background without having to speak about the actual background of where I came from. I don't remember shit about my childhood, it wasn't a great one except outside of school unfortunately. What I do remember is from when I was a bit older. By that time I was a young teenager living in the middle of a high class city with my father. This city had many rules and cruel ways but people ignored it because they couldn't see anything harmful due to the medications they were given. I used to take them as well. Until I let my curiosity get the best of me and stopped. Once I did, I realized life in the city wasn't as perfect as it was made out to be. So I would end up daydreaming about running away from the city and over the walls that kept me and so many others inside.

The rules were so heavily pressed upon people and if you broke one or didn't follow one correctly, you'd be executed or replaced with some sort of robot who resembled you or if it was someone else, it would resemble them. No one really knew what happened to the people who disobeyed the laws of this so-called society. What little they did know, was that some citizens that saw the "flaws" in the system ran away to live outside the city walls because they thought it was better than living "perfectly." These rebels fought every day just to survive in the harsh conditions outside the city where there was hardly any food, water, or even shelter. Of course the people within the walls never understood why people wanted to leave and found it fairly odd. They wondered who would want to leave such a perfect, classy, futuristic, wonderful place? People who saw something "wrong" that's who. I wanted to tell my parents about these imperfections so badly and see if I could get them to stop taking the pills as well, but I knew I couldn't. My parents knew nothing of my dreams or feelings, I couldn't tell them anyway. I needed to keep the fact I stopped taking the pills a secret or else I'd be killed and my family humiliated. I simply could not lose the little support I had.

Not saying that was all my support though. I made a friend who I felt I could trust and he felt the same way. We met at school and we picked up on each other's uncomfortableness immediately. From then on we became friends. His name was Tyler, he was really insightful and always shared his thoughts with me. We would meet up after school to "study" and by that we would talk about beyond the walls. He explained he told his parents nearly everything including him not taking the pills and his parents supported him in his choice. To me, the pills were probably the worst thing about this city besides the executions. They made you feel nothing. When I stopped taking them I started having feelings I'd never experienced. I felt sadness for the first time, worry, and fear. I didn't know how to process what was happening to me but I somehow knew having all these feelings was part of a normal life. Tyler helped me through these of course. Helped me understand what was happening to me. I was extremely thankful for him in that way.

Although I hated some of the emotions, I also loved being able to feel everything. I especially adored the feeling called "love." Of course he never had a boyfriend or anything, but the love I had for my family was enough to tell me this was the strongest emotion of them all. Tyler as well but that was much more of a complex thing. Too much for me to understand at the time. Since my choice of avoiding the pills, I started to notice my dad changing. My parents were divorced so every time I saw my father, he seemed more happy and more carefree but there was still something that upset him and I could tell. Eventually I saw my dad cry, which was an extreme shock to me. I didn't do anything though because I wasn't even sure what I'd say. I just silently watched from around the corner. I was in the process of sneaking out when I witnessed this. Anytime something bothered me, I would go to the tallest building and look out over the walls of the city. There was nothing but desert, so I didn't understand why they couldn't go out there but knew leaving the city was a crime that could also get you killed. What I was doing was a crime too but I started not to care. My curiosity was getting the best of me but again, I didn't seem to mind. I wasn't worried about making mistakes or causing havoc. Nothing exciting happened in the city except for when executions took place. Unfortunately I was forced to watch executions take place all the time. I really had to hide her emotions then. I wanted to cry every time I saw someone begging for their lives. No one around me flinched or even batted an eye. It was so hard for me because even if one person saw me, I'd be as good as dead. I knew I'd eventually have to escape the city. I knew the conditions outside the walls weren't great, but my emotions would eventually become too much and I'd break. I would've left sooner but what would I tell her parents? What would they think when they woke up and found their daughter missing? I just couldn't do that to them. Unfortunately soon enough I'd have too, even if it was against my own will.

I had a job to do here as well. I worked for my dad's company. He patrolled the city, making sure anyone escaping didn't have that chance. Taking them to corporate if he found anyone. He was trained to also shoot outsiders. Or what people better knew as "killjoys." I was taught to shoot at a very young age to protect myself. This was how I ended up working for him. I protected the main entrance to his office building, in which he returned after his rounds. My mother however lived in the slums of the city. It was a sorta old and outlying place of the city, one hardly anyone went to unless they needed something. Tyler lived a few blocks away from the slums and that's how we met up sometimes. I walked to my dad's a lot since that was one of the only times I'd get to see him other than "studying." My parents being divorced caused issues in itself, but they never forgot about me and being there for me. Physically at least, emotionally was a whole different story. That's not important though! The last time I ever saw either of them was the day I lost them. I hate to remember it so I never talked about it. Yet I lost Tyler a few days before. Maybe about a week before. His parents sent him to escape and he came to say goodbye. I was heartbroken, but I told him we'd find each other out there, in freedom. He nodded as he ran and never looked back. I missed him deeply, from that moment on I was alone. Until of course I escaped myself. I knew I had to try and find him. He was my only hope for survival in that brutal place beyond the walls. Although I knew one thing, people out there have killed our city people. Not that I had anything against it, I knew they were trying to kill them as well. Yet nothing made any of this right. Killing was still a crime in itself, morally for me at least. To other people I didn't know, but I'm sure they were blindsided. Rose colored glasses on so to speak. I simply didn't have anything here for me after my parents were killed, they stopped the pills too but I didn't have a clue until the day they were executed. Just one more thing I had to deal with that day. Anyway, I ended up escaping through a tunnel and made it out. So that's where my outsider story began.

Hey uh, I wrote this when I was 16. I'm now 20 and adjusting it now since I fixed some stuff and it's now on AO3! (I regret even writing this in the first place.)