the letter

Dear Miss Aurora H. Sullivan,

Since the passing of the Marriage Law of 1985, you are expected to wed within 12 weeks time.

The person below is your most suitable match

Remus J. Lupin

Regards,

Ministry of Magic

Aurora stared at the letter in her hand. She had been doing so ever since an owl had dropped it at her house that very morning.

It had to be lying. There was no way in hell her 'most suitable match' was Lupin. No way.

Aurora had been in a rivalry with the Gryffindor boy since their second year at Hogwarts. The young boy and his friends - or the 'Marauders' as they called themselves - had dumped acrylic paint infused with glitter all over her and the rest of her house. Slytherin.

For years the four boys had specifically targeted her house, due their dislike of a few members of it. It had annoyed Aurora to the very core.

She had also been constantly competing with Lupin for the highest marks for all seven years, and every time the boy beat her, he and his friends always made sure she knew.

She would rather die than marry Remus John Lupin.

----

"Tough luck mate," Sirius laughed at Remus once he had finished reading over his letter.

"What's tough luck?" James Potter entered the living room where Remus and his laughing friend were sat.

"He- he's expected to marry Aurora Sullivan," Sirius said still failing to contain his laughter.

"Shut it Padfoot, it's not funny," Remus grumbled as he handed the letter over to James.

James read the letter and stared at it for a good minute before finally opening his mouth again.

"Do you suppose if we weren't already married, mine would be Lily?"

Remus picked up one of the cushions currently resting in the sofa, and lobbed it at his head. "Fuck off"

All James did in response was grin. He found this incredibly amusing as neither claimed to like the other. "Maybe it won't be so bad yeah?"

Remus snorted at the notion that marrying, and spending the rest of his life with Aurora Sullivan wouldn't be complete misery.

He was certain it would be.