Ch. 26 - Peyton

"DADDY, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" My nine year old self asked my father who was sitting at a wooden piano

My father turned to face me, and he smiled. "I'm playing the piano. Do you want to join me?"

I nodded, sitting next to him. Music sheets were spread out, and my father was looking at them.

"Who taught you how to play?"

"Your grandmother before she passed away. We used to play all kinds of songs, and it was a lot of fun."

I smiled, eagerly. "Can you teach me?"

My father nodded,"Of course, sunshine."

As soon as my fingers touched the keys, the scenery before me changed into a hospital room.

My eyes fluttered open, and there was a beeping noise. Mg father was still, and his heart wasn't beating.

"Help! I need help!" I screamed out of the door.

But nobody was coming. Nobody was even looking at me.

It was like I wasn't even there.

"Dad! Please! Wake up!" I sobbed, shaking him.

"Help! Somebody please!"

I woke up with a start, making me sit up. I placed my good hand on my heart. I looked around my bedroom, and I took a deep breath.

"Princess? Is everything okay?" Brent asked, sitting up from my bed.

I came home this morning, and Brent spent the whole day with me. He even stayed the night so I wouldn't feel lonely. We watched Marvel movies all day while eating junk food.

"Yeah. I just had a bad dream is all," I said, running a hand through my hair.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" Brent asked me, rubbing my back.

"It was about my dad. One minute we were playing the piano, the next I was seeing him dying and nobody was helping him," I explained, wiping away a stray tear.

"That sounds awful. I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault," I said before adding,"I really miss him."

"I know," Brent said, softly.

I laid back down, and I placed my head on Brent's chest. He wrapped an arm around my shoulders.

"I love you, Campbell," Brent told me, kissing my forehead.

"I love you, too," I replied, hugging him tighter.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••