Ch. 36 - Trust

I STRUGGLED EVEN HARDER AGAINST HIS GRIP

"Campbell, listen to me, I'm not going to hurt you. I'm trying to protect you," Luke said, trying to get me to calm down.

I stopped fighting, and he relaxed a little. Then I kicked him where the sun doesn't shine, and he let go of me.

I didn't hesitate. I ran like I was the Flash. I didn't look back to see if he was following me, and as I came out of alleyway, I ran into somebody, sending us both to the ground.

"Campbell, what happened? What's wrong?" Brent's voice asked, making me instantly relax.

"Campbell!" Luke's voice yelled, making me scramble to my feet.

By this time, Nick and Nichole made it to us. Brent quickly stood up, and he put me behind him, protectively.

Luke didn't step out onto the sidewalk, instead he stood at the edge of the alleyway.

"What the fuck were you doing with Campbell?" Brent asked, angrily, taking a step towards Luke who gulped nervously.

"Look, Brent, I know how it looks, but you know that I'm a good guy. I need to talk to Campbell," Luke said, looking at me straight in the eyes.

"You aren't going anywhere near her, douchebag," Nick said, crossing his arms against his chest.

My heart was racing a hundred miles per hour, and my hands were slightly shaking.

"Listen to me, I'm an undercover detective," Luke said, grabbing something from his jacket pocket.

Nick and Brent quickly backed up to block me and Nichole.

Luke pulled out a detective badge, and he showed it to us.

"See? Now, Campbell's life is in danger, and I need to speak with her now," Luke said, making me step out from behind Brent.

"And snatching me out from a street was the best option?!" I exclaimed, angrily.

Luke nodded,"Yes because I can't be seen by the person who is trying to hurt you."

Brent looked back at me with a questionable look on his face. "Campbell, what is he talking about?"

Nick and Nichole look over at me, and I took a deep breath to calm my nerves.

Before I could explain, Luke said,"Can we please go to that coffee shop across the street? I can't be seen out in the open."

We nodded, and we walked over to the coffee shop.

I tried to hold Brent's hand, but he stepped away. 

I ignored the hurt in my heart as we entered the coffee shop. We sat at a booth that was in the far back, away from the windows.