chp 4 - Did the Ugly Duckling Transformed into an Elegant Swan?!

Shocked was a mild word for explaining Catherine's reaction as she gazed at her 'not-so-great' cousin she used to bully who was now looking and acting like a woman with grace should .

   When Catherine had first entered the restaurant in her blood red high slit dress as if she owned it there was only one thing in her mind : Catch the infamous Malfoy heir's attention before her cousin Laura did . But now it looked she not only her competition has increased but also one more task to complete before this evening and the boring 'reunion' got over : Put her younger and not so lovely cousin on her toes .

   Though Catherine agreed that her ugly cousin had turned into a beautiful swan . No not beautiful , with her buck-tooth gone , her lions mane tamed into soft curls and an air of authority and confident around her , she was Elegant .

    She and her cousins were standing in a circle as they waited for their dinner table to get ready . And to say the silence was awkward was an understatement . Zara was tapping on her phone not even pretending that she was interested . Ashton was looking at Hermione as if she was his next conquest and to be truthful she always thought there was something wrong with her brother . Laura , well Luara was in simple words definitely planning something evil for thier freaky little cousin even though she wore a blank expression . It was her eyes that gave her away . She hasn't took her eyes off Hermione from the moment she had entered the room . And neither had Catherine . Her mom and aunt were throwing glances towards their odd circle every now and then not helping the situation while Hermione was giving them sweet condescending smiles .

The tension in the room was deafening and increasing with each passing moment . No one was trying to break the tension or the silence . Catherine thought she was in a battle field instead of a reunion !! There was a battle of will going on - who would give in first and try to break the silence .

   Catherine was brought back to earth by his brother's question , "So Hermione where have you been for the pass years ?" . Looked like his brother losed the battle , Catherine thought as Hermione started speaking , "After finishing my studies at the private boarding school , I started working for the government and has been quiet busy ."

"A Government job ? " Laura asked with a scoff and  a raised eyebrows , "What was the benefit of going to this 'exclusive' school if in the end filing papers is all you are doing ? "

"No Laura , filing paper is not the only thing I do" her cousin replied with a sickeningly sweet voice , "Government job is not just about filing paper , its more than that , seriously what have you been doing this pass years if you don't know that ?" Hermione was looking at Laura horrified which Catherine knew was fake while Laura was trying to calm herself maybe to stop herself from pouncing on 'know-it-all' .

   Ashton smirked and whispered to Catherine " Now this is getting interesting " Even Zara had abandoned her phone and seemed a little interested as she eyed the both of them .

   Catherine would have loved to see Hermione bitting Laura in a verbal fight . She may not much like her bossy know-it-all cousin but that doesn't meant she loved her other cousins . Seriously if Catherine was truthful no one in this room knew or loved the other well enough maybe except uncle Josh's family . It was the main reason she had helped Laura torment Hermione in their childhood , because she was jealous about the bond Hermione shared with her parents .

   This Reunion , these sweet talks were all a facade to flaunt their new achievements and growing bank accounts . A facade which her 5'2" bossy cousin with her snarky comments and attitude was about to break . Catherine couldn't let that happen . Because if that happen she would lose and that was one thing she hated more than chipped nails . So instead of focusing on Draco while Laura was focused on Hermione she took a deep breath gathered her limited wits and looked towards Laura signaling her that she was on her side!